Re: 2022 Midterm Elections

highdesert wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:27 am Polling from Morning Consult:
https://archive.ph/9hlaH
As long as people are mostly unhappy with kitchen table issues, nothing else will matter.

I think Democrats are trying to lose to be honest. I mean they double down on using "LatinX IncluXion Luncheon" the and insist on making "Breakfast Taco" references to the Latino community. How are they so out of touch?

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ab ... trol-poll/
EAT,SLEEP,RANGE,REPEAT

I think the only way to save the Democratic Party is to completely abandon Biden. The Biden Administration has been one giant feeble train wreck. It has no support from the Right and minimal support from Independents. Biden manages to demoralize the party on a daily basis. The media can bury its head in the sand for only so long in the internet age. Sooner or later it will have to address the short comings. Sooner or later it will have to address the Hunter Biden weighing his crack story, etc.
EAT,SLEEP,RANGE,REPEAT

So many Debbie Downers, eh! Biden will get knocked out in the primaries. I really respect him and his efforts. He knows he's a caretaker, and he's doing his best as only a long time senator can do. I think the nom will go to another. But that is immaterial compared to the mid terms. Traditionally Dems should lose seats. But this is different due to January 6. I think we will see congress critters arrested or at least voted out due to their crimes. This is July. All kinds of recesses and posturing.

Hang in there.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

GeorgiaRN wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:10 pm
Wino wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:04 pm
Ylatkit wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:02 pm He's still Not Trump.
That's sufficiently enough for me !!
Its not for me. Its costing me so much more to drive to work and buy food. We havent exactly gone back to normal post Covid.
Imagine TOT being in office now. Prolly cheap gas but Putin would be going into Poland and Ukraine would be owned.
Ahh but fuck. The high prices due to Americans buying so much crap, causing inflation due to demand wouldn't ever happen under TOT.
Shit we'd still be looking for a vax fix.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

The main job of the party not holding the White House is to paint their opponents with as much gloom and doom as they can create. Paint the party in power as totally incompetent and their leader as the worst president in history. They are churning up their bases for the midterm election ahead. Democrats did it to Trump and Republicans are doing it to Biden, same old crap - that's politics.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

The great realignment
https://www.axios.com/2022/07/14/republ ... nic-voters
Republicans are becoming more working class and a little more multiracial. Democrats are becoming more elite and a little more white.
This week's Times/Siena poll found affluent voters care about gun control and abortion rights. Working-class voters are squarely focused on the economy.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

From time to time I put a political cartoon in a text thread. I know it bothers some folks with some phones. I'm thinking the ideas expressed are more valuable than a temporary smooth scroll. Onward.

The cartoon actually shows the entire strategy for the RNC. Famously Mitch said he would not offer a Republican agenda for 2022.
McConnell reportedly feels that such an agenda would only become fodder for Democratic attacks.
https://www.businessinsider.com/mcconne ... 21-12?op=1

So this cartoon shows us a lot about how to oppose them, not just to oppose, but to show a better agenda. Offer an alternative to the American Taliban by offering solid proposals rather than something an archeologist dug up from a seventh century Middle Eastern privvy.

We can do this.

CDFingers

sikacz wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:17 am We really need more than two dominant parties. It’s inevitable parties change.
Yes the two parties juggle issues and we end up getting screwed, like on 2A. Multiple party governments or a national unity government mean small parties have to pick their most important issues and can't be everything to everyone. Israel's current government is unstable because what unified the coalition was getting rid of Netanyahu, so it includes left, center and right wing parties and those in support of settlements in the West Bank and those opposed to settlements, it fractured. Our two parties are becoming similar big tents.
This week's Times/Siena poll found affluent voters care about gun control and abortion rights.
And the Democratic Party is perfectly aligned with affluent voters. The affluent in every society fear arming the lower classes, because in a class war they'd lose their affluence and power.

sikacz wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:17 am We really need more than two dominant parties. It’s inevitable parties change.
Sure we do. I think a large percentage of voters agree.
But right now we are in dangerous times with TOT likely to run. So throwing away a vote to make a statement isn't something our democracy can afford.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

It has been unfortunate that in all my years voting since I was able to vote, in 1972. I have been voting against much more than for a candidate in the elections.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:37 pm It has been unfortunate that in all my years voting since I was able to vote, in 1972. I have been voting against much more than for a candidate in the elections.
You and me both. I'm still a recovering McGovern voter.

Affluent voters on the left can be persuaded that root cause mitigation is a cheaper and better way to avoid being over run by the armed and poor masses. Money talks. Bullshit makes policy but gets re elected. Go figure.

CDFingers

A prime example of what Citizens United has dumped on us.
Critics accuse Dr. Oz of getting campaign cash from 'legal money laundering'

Republican Pennsylvania candidate Mehmet Oz has drawn criticism for being a rich New Jersey resident attempting to buy a seat in the U.S. Senate for a state where he couldn't even spell the street where he "lived" correctly in his candidate filing paperwork.

According to the Daily Beast, however, Oz is now being accused of using a campaign finance loophole to essentially funnel money to his campaign.

Oz could easily self-fund his campaign if he wanted to loan the funds to his campaign, but instead, he's using a tactic one expert called "legalized money laundering."

The Supreme Court's decision to strike down campaign finance regulations years ago enabled Oz to set up a super PAC for "dark money" where he can raise money from a tax-free group.
Full article here.
https://www.rawstory.com/dr-oz-legal-money-laundering/

Bought and paid for. He will have some quack idea to cure the nation’s problems.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Mehmet Oz in PA and Hershel Walker in GA are two prime examples of Trump screwing the Republican Party. He cares more about loyalty and controlling that party than helping the Republican Party win elections. It's all about him as usual. The Senate toss up races are PA, GA, AZ and NV, three seats held by Democrats and one seat held by a Republican. If there is a Republican wave then they probably sweep all those seats.

Oz's opponent is John Fetterman who is the Dem Lt Gov of PA. He had a stroke just before the election, turns out he's had health problems and he never revealed them, there are questions how that will affect voters in November.

It's Salon and confirms my bias that the Dems will keep both Houses.
According to veteran Democrat political strategist Simon Rosenberg, recent polling data suggests the race has moved 3-5 points to the Democrats in recent weeks. 11 polls have been released on the generic congressional perference since Roe ended. Seven of the 11 polls — more than half — show meaningful movement towards the Democrats and give significant leads in the generic polling.
https://www.salon.com/2022/07/15/democr ... -midterms/

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:55 pm It's Salon and confirms my bias that the Dems will keep both Houses.
According to veteran Democrat political strategist Simon Rosenberg, recent polling data suggests the race has moved 3-5 points to the Democrats in recent weeks. 11 polls have been released on the generic congressional perference since Roe ended. Seven of the 11 polls — more than half — show meaningful movement towards the Democrats and give significant leads in the generic polling.
https://www.salon.com/2022/07/15/democr ... -midterms/

CDFingers

We'll see, Dobbs and Bruen are still unknown factors over the next 4 months. The women most likely to get surgical abortions are in their 20s and they are not always the most reliable voters. I'm still watching the polling and forecasts, they will pick up on any changes along with the pundits. Tuesday November 8th is D Day.