Re: 2022 Midterm Elections

For any who recall the 2012 annual meeting in Portland, we had the pleasure of, a then democratic, state senator as our keynote speaker:
Betsy Johnson

Betsy, a liberal in that she claims that the constitution is for all of the people, not just the wealthy, re-elected many times from a very conservative portion of the state, is running for governor...

As an independent.

Solely because the progressive arm (now in complete control of the party in Oregon) along with our current governor, sought to anoint Katie's successor more or less by fiat.

When Johnson, a ranking senator, indicated a desire to stand for the nomination, she was summarily stripped of her committee assignments and cut out of party support...
https://www.wweek.com/news/2021/11/04/s ... ting-role/
...in a move that had more than a few democrats embarrassed and disgusted to be even remotely affiliated with that kind of behavior.

So Betsy's told them to fuck themselves. I think she used that expression.

She stands a very good chance of winning. As such, the dems are showing themselves to be the equal in every way of the republicans when it comes to sleaze.

If it weren't happening to someone I had grown to respect, at the hands of someone I used to like (our current governor and I have a long history) I'd find it all rather amusing. In a typical "politics" sort of way.

A true liberal. For Governor.
Got a ring to it, don't cha think...
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

Former Democratic leaders blast party’s ‘risky and unethical’ meddling in GOP primaries
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/0 ... s-00048962
In Pennsylvania, where Democrats intervened on behalf of hard-liner Doug Mastriano in that state’s gubernatorial primary, Mastriano appears now to have at least a credible chance of winning.
The law of unexpected consequences.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Perfect description of Sinema. A soulless political narcissist and the antithesis of a true leader if I ever saw one.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Meanwhile, voters in Kansas resoundingly voted “no” on a constitutional amendment that would have enabled the state legislature to restrict abortion rights, the Associated Press projected. Abortion rights will now continue to be protected under the Kansas constitution. The vote marked the first electoral test since the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade in June.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... an-kansas/
As Kansas began reporting the results of its referendum on a constitutional amendment centered on abortion, an unexpected pattern emerged. The results in rural counties were running even with the results in suburban ones, despite the expectation that rural counties would be more Republican and, therefore, more likely to support the amendment. A closer look at the numbers offered one reason: Douglas County, home to the University of Kansas, was lopsidedly opposed to the measure.

In rural counties, opposition to the measure is still running well above 50 percent, as of writing. Instead, the useful insight about Douglas was that counties with younger residents — and fewer retired ones — were more likely to oppose the amendment.
You’ll notice Riley County labeled on the latter graph. It’s sitting way out there to the right — lots of younger residents and a strong level of opposition to the amendment. It’s also home to Kansas State University.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... J7QQWF2ZGI
Because Kansas is a conservative state, even a close result would have signaled that the issue is widely resonant. The final result went beyond — with an estimated 89 percent of votes counted, the measure was failing by about 25 points.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

tonguengroover wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:09 am Keri Lake says she won't accept the election results if she loses. Looks like her and Karrin Robson, the real estate developer and (illegal alien profiteer/mogal) are going into a runoff.
This should be fun to watch.
It doesn't matter what she "accepts." Who appears on the ballot in the general will be up to the AZ secretary of state.

It WILL be fun if she tries some wacko Kraken-level challenge in court. It will be less fun if she tries to whip up some maniacs to menace election workers or state officials.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

highdesert wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:47 am CNN has county by county results in the Kansas abortion election.
https://www.cnn.com/election/2022/resul ... /primaries
Yikes, up to 80% YES in some of the counties out west, but only in counties with less than 1000 total votes! Once you get up to 2500 votes in the county, the margin falls to 60/40, which is still annoying, but it's pretty hilarious how badly this flopped in a state that just lurves them some right-wing shitheels for their government.

The NYT mentioned "frenzied advertising" in the lead-up to the vote. I'm kinda curious what an anti-abortion election ad looks like, but I'll probably resist the temptation to search for them on YouTube. Anyway, the craziest crap would probably have been on radio...

It appears that Trump backed Blake Masters won the AZ Republican US Senate nomination, he'll face Mark Kelly (incumbent Dem) on November 8th. Masters has the financial support of Peter Thiel (PayPal founder), plus Trump's endorsement.

The networks were showing Robson ahead initially in the AZ Republican governors race, but Lake is now in the lead and I don't think anyone is calling it yet. Katie Hobbs, the AZ Dem Sec of State won the Dem nomination. Trump endorsed Lake and Pence, Ducey (current Rep governor) and Brewer (former Rep governor) endorsed Robson. About 60% of AZ voters are in Maricopa County (Phoenix).

Mark Finchem won the Rep nomination for Sec of State, Finchem is a member of the "Oath Keepers". And it appears that Adrian Fontes won the AZ Dem Sec of State nomination, he is the chief election official in Maricopa County (Phoenix).
Last edited by highdesert on Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

highdesert wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:46 am
Mark Finchem won the Rep nomination for Sec of State, Finchem is a member of the "Oath Keepers".
This is probably the most disturbing election news. Having these Q/Trumpenführer types in charge of elections is a true nightmare.

Second most disturbing is Peter Meijer losing his primary, after the Ds spent a bunch of money to support his pro-insurrection opponent. Torpedoing a rare R who actually can judge election facts just because you think his wacko opponent will be easier to beat in the general is a horribly risky idea! I doubt the Ds spending made the difference in Meijer losing, but they are really fucking playing with fire here.

Buck13 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:42 pm
highdesert wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:46 am
Mark Finchem won the Rep nomination for Sec of State, Finchem is a member of the "Oath Keepers".
This is probably the most disturbing election news. Having these Q/Trumpenführer types in charge of elections is a true nightmare.

Second most disturbing is Peter Meijer losing his primary, after the Ds spent a bunch of money to support his pro-insurrection opponent. Torpedoing a rare R who actually can judge election facts just because you think his wacko opponent will be easier to beat in the general is a horribly risky idea! I doubt the Ds spending made the difference in Meijer losing, but they are really fucking playing with fire here.

I agree, I was born in western Michigan and still have family there, so I stay up on the politics in the area. Meijer is from the Meijer grocery chain family, he's Republican and moderate but he's not Betsy de Vos. Adam Kinzinger is not happy.
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3586 ... -own-that/

Trump and the DNC were on the same side supporting Meijer's Republican opponent who won, that's really SCARY.

AZ Republican governors race still hasn't been called. Kari Lake, Trump's candidate is leading statewide, but Maricopa County is still counting and Karrin Taylor Robson who is supported by Pence, Ducey and Brewer is leading in Maricopa County. AP and the networks haven't called it.

AP called the AZ Republican governors race, Trump backed candidate Kari Lake is the winner. So it's the Democrat Katie vs the Republican Kari in the November 8th general election. Nov 8th is less than 100 days away. Like it or not, AZ has a functional two party system as opposed to CA's one party system.
https://apnews.com/article/kari-lake-ar ... 112d77d2a4

The Wyoming primary is August 16th and it's not looking good for Liz Cheney, Trump's candidate Harriet Hageman is ahead in the polls. This writer thinks she should run independent in November and try to pull in Democrats and anti-Trump Republicans.
https://crowdwisdom.live/politics/2022- ... ace-polls/

Dick Cheney made a campaign ad for his daughter.

Ideally, Liz wins primary with help from Dems. Run as independent if she loses. No way a Dem will win an office in Wyoming.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Two House Democrats are urging Wyoming Democrats to switch parties in the state’s upcoming primary to boost the chances of Rep. Liz Cheney (R), one of former President Trump’s primary targets this cycle. “You might be a little surprised that I’d be supporting Liz Cheney in her bid to continue representing Wyoming in the U.S. House, but principle must always come before politics, and nobody has shown more honor, integrity and courage than she,” said Rep. Dean Phillips (D-Minn.) in a new ad.

“Liz Cheney and I don’t agree on everything,” said Rep. Tom Malinowski (D-N.J.) in his ad. “But we’re on the same side today fighting for a country where we settle our differences by voting, not violence.” The ads are running on at least Facebook, and the platform indicated that they are being paid for by Wyomingites Defending Freedom and Democracy, an organization that has documented $475,000 in contributions to the Federal Elections Commission as it seeks to boost Cheney’s campaign.

Cheney is facing a tough reelection battle in next week’s Republican primary, when she will square off against the Trump-backed Harriet Hageman.
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3 ... n-wyoming/

Third Republican Who Supported Trump Impeachment Loses Reelection

Six-term Rep. Jamie Herrera Beutler, a moderate House Republican from Washington state who voted in favor of Donald Trump’s second impeachment, conceded in her primary election Tuesday night.

Secretary of State results as of Tuesday had her coming in third in the primary, barely missing being one of the top two vote-getters who would move on to the general election, regardless of party affiliation. Though she conceded Tuesday, Herrera Beutler’s primary was Aug. 2. Washington allows vote by mail, which can extend the time needed to tabulate results.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jaime-he ... e175d89fb9

Another one bites the dust as the Rethugs shift even farther to the right.

Then we have this.
Election Denier Kim Crockett Wins Minnesota GOP Secretary Of State Primary

Crockett has said the 2020 election was “rigged” and, during a discussion with Minnesota state Rep. Jeremy Munson (R) this year, agreed with his assertion that the election was “illegitimate.” She has said Minnesota should “return to in-person voting” and roll back the “chaotic, insecure absentee balloting system” that roughly 58% of the state’s voters used during the pandemic, the Minnesota Reformer reported. She has also nodded toward right-wing conspiracies that electronic voting machines were used to steal the election from former President Donald Trump.

And as HuffPost reported last week, she used a 2020 radio interview to question whether people with disabilities and non-English speakers should be allowed to vote, while insinuating that laws allowing such voters to seek assistance lead to fraud.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kim-croc ... f9d00249fc

It doesn't matter who votes. What matters is who gets to count the votes.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Four seats will likely determine control of the US Senate and they are rated toss ups by most experts, they are NV, AZ, GA and PA. RCP adds in another four NH, OH, NC and WI. Much of the polling is within the margin of error or there is very little polling. There is less than 90 days until the 2022 general election.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... s-map.html

Fractures are now very public in the orange armor.
One republican, Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania, a former FBI agent, called on lawmakers to cool it.

“I don’t think any of this is okay,” Fitzpatrick told reporters.

“We’re the world’s oldest democracy, and that can go away very quickly,” he said. “As our adversaries have said so many times: The only way you defeat America, you’re never going to beat America from the outside, ever. The only way you beat the world’s greatest democracy is from within — turning American on American.”

He said, “So it’s incumbent upon everybody to act in a way that’s becoming of the office they hold — and that’s not casting judgment on anything until you know all the facts.”
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/g ... fbi-search

In the article, Nancy bemoans the lack of many adults in the Republican room. I left the lower case r from the original article in there.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Trump thought he could just attack DOJ and the FBI over the "raid" and all Republicans would follow him, it might have happened but then national security documents were discovered. Fitzpatrick and many other Republicans who are ex-leos didn't follow that path and are waiting to see what DOJ does next.

And Democrats are staking everything on challenging the Dobbs decision in hopes of keeping both chambers of Congress. That will always be a winning strategy on the blue coasts, but not likely in those purple districts that they need to keep the House and Senate.