My Holy Grail Gun Search

So for the last several years I've been buying handgun after handgun, rifle after rifle trying to scratch that itch for my true holy grail gun. And yet after I buy one, used or new I adore it, cherish treasure and glorify it for awhile but the love seems to fade.
I cannot seem to find the right one. I run through volumes of pages of guns looking for that holy grail.
There is an empty feeling.

Until perhaps today. Yes, I think I found it!

It was hiding in the back of an old file cabinet. Did I in fact already have it?

Yes Yes I did in fact already have it. Are you sure it is in fact what you've been searching for all these years I asked myself. I honestly do believe it is. I could feel my pulse bump up when I saw the box.
Anticipation as I brought it to the table and opened the box.

My heart broken when I opened the box and it wasn't in there. Brain is skipping though random memory events when I realize I sold it. Heart sinks lower. A whimper out the lips. He calls himself derogatory names.

It is gone. Will I ever find another perfect pistol? I don't know. Is there one out there? Can I get it back in it's perfect condition as I when I sold it? Will I really feel fulfilled if I get another exactly like it?

I don't know. I think I need a beer.
Last edited by tonguengroover on Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”
Attachments
MKII.jpg
MKII a.jpg
MKII b.jpg

Re: My Holy Grail Gun Search

You probably couldn’t get it back together and threw it out in a fit of pique. Go buy a Mark IV in that configuration and be happy.

Seriously, when I get tired of shooting something I just put it away for a while until I forget all the little things I didn’t like and remember just how fun it actually was. Then it comes back out again and something else gets put away.

wooglin wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:59 am You probably couldn’t get it back together and threw it out in a fit of pique. Go buy a Mark IV in that configuration and be happy.

Seriously, when I get tired of shooting something I just put it away for a while until I forget all the little things I didn’t like and remember just how fun it actually was. Then it comes back out again and something else gets put away.
Ha yeah, tough to clean those MKII's
Well the one button take down is nice and now a threaded bull. Whats not to like.

But the price? Yikes. Like buying a PPK/S
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Hey at least you aren’t doing this with motorcycles, that gets VERY expensive.

I’m not familiar with this exact model but after the mark IVs came out but pre-covid I was seeing some great deals on IIs and IIIs.

Kinda wish I had a stainless long barrel Mark IV but I love my Buckmark Hunter which was half the price. And so far it’s ran flawlessly just cleaning the bore and bits I can see with the bolt open.

INVICTVS138 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:50 pm
I do. Bought it in 2008. I’m always open to trades, offers etc. It’s probable my best, Target pistol, great trigger, but I’m just not crazy about .22 LRs “non-reloadable” case. Plus, I’d rather have a .22 handgun that can be suppressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks just like my gun buddy. Did you buy it new?
I was looking at them (MkII) on Ruger.com. three models with threaded barrels.

I do. Bought it in 2008. I’m always open to trades, offers etc. It’s probable my best, Target pistol, great trigger, but I’m just not crazy about .22 LRs “non-reloadable” case. Plus, I’d rather have a .22 handgun that can be suppressed.

I was looking at them (MkII) on Ruger.com. three models with threaded barrels. One tactical we ith rails and shorter barrel.

tonguengroover wrote:

I was looking at them (MkII) on Ruger.com. three models with threaded barrels.
It’s from the 90s.

I like the grip angle on my MK II “target” better than the new MK IV 22/45s “lite” or tactical - with the threaded barrel. Those are going for $550.

My Mk IV Hunter - 6 7/8" fluted bull barrel and fiber optic front sight. Not my first gun, but the first one I bought. It took some hunting to get one under $700 before all this nonsense started. Nowadays the Mk IVs are hard to find new, and prices are stupid.

Took off work early to get to the range earlier this week. First time this year. We burned through half a box of Browning 36 grain hollow points - couple hundred rounds - with just a couple of light strikes and a couple FTEs. Rang a lot of steel on the 25 yard line, enough to embarrass the younger couple who showed up to practice with a compact carry-style 9mm. I'm still not up to one-ragged-hole accuracy, but it was comforting to discover how well dry fire practice had served me through the winter.

I'm not dreading cleanup.
Attachments
Hunter & Huntsman.jpg

wings wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:29 pm My Mk IV Hunter - 6 7/8" fluted bull barrel and fiber optic front sight. Not my first gun, but the first one I bought. It took some hunting to get one under $700 before all this nonsense started. Nowadays the Mk IVs are hard to find new, and prices are stupid.

Took off work early to get to the range earlier this week. First time this year. We burned through half a box of Browning 36 grain hollow points - couple hundred rounds - with just a couple of light strikes and a couple FTEs. Rang a lot of steel on the 25 yard line, enough to embarrass the younger couple who showed up to practice with a compact carry-style 9mm. I'm still not up to one-ragged-hole accuracy, but it was comforting to discover how well dry fire practice had served me through the winter.

Wings that fluted barrel looks nicer than I’d have thought.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote:Never sell a gun, rule one. LoL.
I do a Marie Kondo safe purge every few years … I don’t really want anything that I don’t shoot, carry or hunt with.

I bought a Cimarron .357 a year ago purely to make a western rig. I now know; I don’t like the colt SAA clone actions (as much as I love the Ruger single actions). I also don’t like the sights as much either. Sights and triggers are biggies for me. That’s coming with me to the ohio gun collectors show this weekend. Beautiful gun - just not for me. I guess I’m also not crazy about a “replica” type firearm with no collector value. If it was an actual colt SA I’d keep it.

wings wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:29 pm My Mk IV Hunter - 6 7/8" fluted bull barrel and fiber optic front sight. Not my first gun, but the first one I bought. It took some hunting to get one under $700 before all this nonsense started. Nowadays the Mk IVs are hard to find new, and prices are stupid.

Ruger shows the Model 40159 with that grip but not in stainless. I love it. Might be able to buy one on the shopruger.com site.

Yeah so cleaning. Not sure I want to deal with the cleaning either. I used to hose down the interior with cleaner and blow it out, then add some drops of oil on parts. Seemed to work for me. MSRP for base model with BB is $499. I have two links with conflicting numbers on the ruger site. Might find one at an LGS for 10% less. We'll see.

https://ruger.com/products/markIV2245/models.html

https://ruger.com/products/markIVTarget/models.html

tonguengroover wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:00 am

Ruger shows the Model 40159 with that grip but not in stainless. I love it. Might be able to buy one on the shopruger.com site.

Yeah so cleaning. Not sure I want to deal with the cleaning either. I used to hose down the interior with cleaner and blow it out, then add some drops of oil on parts. Seemed to work for me. MSRP for base model with BB is $499. I have two links with conflicting numbers on the ruger site. Might find one at an LGS for 10% less. We'll see.

https://ruger.com/products/markIV2245/models.html

https://ruger.com/products/markIVTarget/models.html
Ruger sells the oversize Altamont grips separately, if you really want the firebird. Some complaints about fitting them around the safety and mag release lever, but I haven't had any problems putting mine back on.
https://shopruger.com/Mark-IV-Oversized ... nfo/19855/

You can also get alternatives direct from Altamont. None of the fingergroove rosewoods in stock at the moment, but they are pretty - and nearly half the price. Now I'm thinking about some of the panel-style grips as more practical alternatives for carry as a kit gun. I had looked at take-down 10/22s a couple years back, before I realized that the Hunter would fill the same niche but lighter and with more panache.
https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/ruger/mark4/

Was the Government model actually better in accuracy than the other MkIIs, or was it just that they proved its accuracy with a factory target?

Pre-MkIV reassembly isn't THAT bad, once you find the right couple of YouTube videos! I find that the MkIIs run well when pretty dirty, so frequent takedown isn't required anyway.

I'd like to add a MkIV Hunter to my collection but I have other guns I "need" first...
MkIIs IMG_4339.jpg
I'm going to post this photo in every possible thread!
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.