Re: Media lament of Daniel Defense online order process

kmerian wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:54 am
DispositionMatrix wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:29 am Stupid article warning.
https://archive.ph/ELaOA

The author tries to foment some outrage about the fact Daniel Defense has a good site with an easy ordering process and does not include unnecessary artificial barriers to ordering.
I am more curious where an 18 year old got 5 grand to order two guns, magazines and ammo.
Good question. I know he worked hard at part-time jobs and saved every penny. :sarcasm:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:34 pm
kmerian wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:54 am
DispositionMatrix wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:29 am Stupid article warning.
https://archive.ph/ELaOA

The author tries to foment some outrage about the fact Daniel Defense has a good site with an easy ordering process and does not include unnecessary artificial barriers to ordering.
I am more curious where an 18 year old got 5 grand to order two guns, magazines and ammo.
Good question. I know he worked hard at part-time jobs and saved every penny. :sarcasm:
Alas, no way to upvote this sequence.

Maybe an irresponsible adult was involved somehow.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

The shooter was an adult or are you saying we send children to war and allow children to vote. Hell, if we don’t think 18 year olds are old enough to be responsible adults then we need to change it. No more 18 year olds in the military, no voting, ….pick an age and be consistent. At this time the law and rights afforded indicate an 18 year old is an adult. Yeah, I’m bloviating.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:57 am The shooter was an adult or are you saying we send children to war and allow children to vote. Hell, if we don’t think 18 year olds are old enough to be responsible adults then we need to change it. No more 18 year olds in the military, no voting, ….pick an age and be consistent. At this time the law and rights afforded indicate an 18 year old is an adult. Yeah, I’m bloviating.
Agree.

featureless wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:03 am
sikacz wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:57 am The shooter was an adult or are you saying we send children to war and allow children to vote. Hell, if we don’t think 18 year olds are old enough to be responsible adults then we need to change it. No more 18 year olds in the military, no voting, ….pick an age and be consistent. At this time the law and rights afforded indicate an 18 year old is an adult. Yeah, I’m bloviating.
Agree.

I also agree. I've been "bloviating" for a long time on the dichotomy of our laws regarding 18 year olds. They are considered an adult (vote, enlist, sign a contract, criminally charged as an adult...) except when it comes to our puritanical liquor laws. Europe has it right. Blame it on congress, they tied it to federal highway funds.
https://brilliantmaps.com/drinking-age-europe/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

An 18 year old has the perfect body to be a soldier with. They get to shoot stuff, have great endurance and strength. Now, if we raise the gun age to 21 or even 25, these trained soldiers must have exceptions for gun ownership once they muster out probably around 22. That's the way to avoid hypocrisy. Now, trained and armed people younger than 21 is always an interesting addition to a social mix.

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:12 am An 18 year old has the perfect body to be a soldier with. They get to shoot stuff, have great endurance and strength. Now, if we raise the gun age to 21 or even 25, these trained soldiers must have exceptions for gun ownership once they muster out probably around 22. That's the way to avoid hypocrisy. Now, trained and armed people younger than 21 is always an interesting addition to a social mix.

CDFingers
Without all the gory details, young recruits tend to follow orders. This was explained to me quite succinctly by a Marine gunny (also a drinking buddy) at AAFES induction center during Vietnam war. He informed me that I was on top of the list to be drafted shortly before I turned 26, which was the cut off age for draftees. He wanted me to sign up for four with Marines rather than two with Army, guaranteeing me I'd never see frontline action as I was too old, whereas a young recruit when told to charge a bunker would do so and older guys, who understood how permanent death is, would tell the sgt. to go fuck himself. I got my draft letter from LBJ two weeks before my 26th birthday. I should have taken him up on his offer, but instead I remarried my ex, got reclassified IIIA, turned 26, and had the most miserable 18 months in my life until we divorced again. In essence 18 YO's are military fodder, then and now.

Youthful raging hormones, immaturity, alcohol and deadly weapons can be a lethal mix.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:57 pm
CDFingers wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:12 am An 18 year old has the perfect body to be a soldier with. They get to shoot stuff, have great endurance and strength. Now, if we raise the gun age to 21 or even 25, these trained soldiers must have exceptions for gun ownership once they muster out probably around 22. That's the way to avoid hypocrisy. Now, trained and armed people younger than 21 is always an interesting addition to a social mix.

CDFingers
Without all the gory details, young recruits tend to follow orders. This was explained to me quite succinctly by a Marine gunny (also a drinking buddy) at AAFES induction center during Vietnam war. He informed me that I was on top of the list to be drafted shortly before I turned 26, which was the cut off age for draftees. He wanted me to sign up for four with Marines rather than two with Army, guaranteeing me I'd never see frontline action as I was too old, whereas a young recruit when told to charge a bunker would do so and older guys, who understood how permanent death is, would tell the sgt. to go fuck himself. I got my draft letter from LBJ two weeks before my 26th birthday. I should have taken him up on his offer, but instead I remarried my ex, got reclassified IIIA, turned 26, and had the most miserable 18 months in my life until we divorced again. In essence 18 YO's are military fodder, then and now.

Youthful raging hormones, immaturity, alcohol and deadly weapons can be a lethal mix.
Absolutely true, which one reason I don’t believe anyone under 21 should be allowed to serve.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sika, no, man. For thousands of years it's been the young men carrying the pikes or what ever in the front lines. Soldiering is a young person's province. I hate to say it, but they are cannon fodder. I registered for the draft in 1970 and won big time with a lottery number above 300. My US History teacher said I wouldn't be drafted unless the Viet Cong were coming down my street with fixed bayonets. Ten years later I was married with a one year old son.

To this day I sort of don't remember how that happened. Glad I survived the 70's in California. That was when you could hitchhike up and down the coast with just a back pack. Did it three times. Glad I wasn't drafted. Glad I wasn't murdered. Ate at Uncle Mustache's Falafel stand in Isla Vista--really a trailer in a field--best evah. Tar on my feet.

CDFingers

sikacz wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:02 pm
Wino wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:57 pm

CDFingers

Absolutely true, which one reason I don’t believe anyone under 21 should be allowed to serve.
In my case, I was 18 my senior year in high school. The first year of the draft lottery, my number was 54. I cll the Army recruiter and ask do you take men that are blind in one eye. He said no but if you're deaf in one ear we can take you. I had an eye appointment with the optometrist and asked that he write a letter to the draft board that I was blind in my left eye. I have been since right after birth due to being a 6 month preemie. That eventually got me a 4F rating. I told my Dad that I couldn't join and he said," Good I fought enough wars for both of us. He listed in 1940 before the draft at age 16 (he lied) later was a WWII B-24 gunner in Italy and completed 50 mission before being shot down and POW for a couple of months in Stalag VIIA before bing liberated by Patton's Third Army. Then later spent 27 years in the Air Force including the shooting part of the Cold War.

Wino is correct about the "Youthful raging hormones, immaturity, alcohol and deadly weapons can be a lethal mix." The deadly weapon sometimes is a two or four wheel weapon. That was a major reason they raised the drinking age back up to 21 years old. Right along with them buying booze for their 16 and 17 year old buddies. By the time they are 21 years old they normally aren't hanging out with 16 and 17 year old males.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

BUT, those 18 YOs in the military are trained for months in the use of firearms AND access to military firearms are strictly controlled. They don't take 'em home to show their BBQ buddies. To say 18YOs can go to war with firearms means 18YOs should be able to buy a AR in 15 minutes isn't exactly the same thing.

F4FEver wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:04 am
BUT, those 18 YOs in the military are trained for months in the use of firearms AND access to military firearms are strictly controlled. They don't take 'em home to show their BBQ buddies. To say 18YOs can go to war with firearms means 18YOs should be able to buy a AR in 15 minutes isn't exactly the same thing.
You missed my point entirely.

Science shows us that the neocortex, the place where our ability to judge lies, this part of the brain develops last and finishes about 25 or so. These 18 year olds have not yet developed the little grey cells that help us decide that shooting up a bunch of fourth graders is not a good way to deal with feelings of anger and so on.

Now, whether to change laws is another discussion, but the science shows us some part of the "why". It might be up to responsible adults doing the right thing with every gun. So, we're screwed unless we educate more people about root causes.

CDFingers

My lottery number was 28, but I was in college so had a deferment, when I graduated the draft was almost over. If I wasn't in college I would have been bused to the Oakland Army Induction Center, fodder for Vietnam unless I quickly enlisted in another service. The local Selective Service Board was located in the county seat, I remember their cranky staff. Guess they had been shouted at once too often.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan