Active Shooter Incidents

For what it's worth, the FBI actually studies and compiles data on active shooter incidents. Unlike the loosely defined and often reported on "mass shooting" event (usually compiled by Brady, Mother Jones or similar), the FBI has a solid definition that includes shooter actively trying to kill people in a populated area. This is different from the "mass shooting" event that use +2 or +3 victims. The very big difference is that an "active shooting" event is much more likely to catch up a general member of the public whereas a "mass shooting" is often very specific domestic dispute or gang-type event where, assuming you're not involved in a fucked up family or gangs, you're extremely unlikely to be a party of.

Why does this matter? Well, the media uses "mass shooting" events in the same way they lump suicide numbers into total gun deaths--to produce fear. What are we afraid of? Being mass shot, of course. But, just like including suicides into the murder number, including gang and family violence in the "mass shooting" event number doesn't really tell you just how uncommonly the general public is exposed to "mass shooting" events--those where you might get mass shot. Sure, there's some spill over. But not what the media would have you believe.

I encourage those of you that have never looked at the FBI's research to do so. It's a quick skim with some pretty interesting graphics. Here's a link to the 2021 study: https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/act ... 2.pdf/view

Of note, in 2021, there were 61 "mass shooting" events with 103 fatalities. Rather different from the 200+ year to date the media and politicians are reporting. 2020 had 40 with 38 killed. Tragic. Yes. But not quite what it's being spun as.
Last edited by featureless on Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Active Shooter Incidents

featureless wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:55 pm Of note, in 2021, there were 61 "mass shooting" events with 103 fatalities. Rather different from the 200+ year to date the media and politicians are reporting. 2020 had 40 with 38 killed. Tragic. Yes. But not quite what it's being spun as.
Yup the spin doctors among Democratic politicians, the anti-gun groups Bloomberg, Giffords...and of course the media aren't out for truth just sensationalism and ratings and revenue.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

featureless wrote:Thanks for that article. It supports that these events are vanishingly rare. And that we could prevent many by investing in more compassion and assistance for those that are struggling. But that's a lot harder than just banning things.
There is a huge push by the firearm prohibition lobby to portray as many shootings as possible as "mass" shootings. Many media outlets have admitted to using Shooting Tracker, which was put together several years ago by a Redditor who made no secret of wanting to inflate the numbers. That data is what the media considers truth.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

DispositionMatrix wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:32 pm
featureless wrote:Thanks for that article. It supports that these events are vanishingly rare. And that we could prevent many by investing in more compassion and assistance for those that are struggling. But that's a lot harder than just banning things.
There is a huge push by the firearm prohibition lobby to portray as many shootings as possible as "mass" shootings. Many media outlets have admitted to using Shooting Tracker, which was put together several years ago by a Redditor who made no secret of wanting to inflate the numbers. That data is what the media considers truth.
Agreed. That's why I started this thread. :)

featureless wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:59 pm
DispositionMatrix wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:32 pm
Agreed. That's why I started this thread. :)

Inflated data is what the antis share, some mainstream media have stopped using these databases, but not all.

Another article, "Two Professors Found What Creates a Mass Shooter. Will Politicians Pay Attention?"
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... a-00035762
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"Vanishingly rare." The media needs clicks, so even if one man bites a dog, everyone sees ten articles about it, a panel discussion, and a debate between competing parties. Very few people step into the stream of the media fire hose (reddit) to it "all" in an unfiltered fashion. Thus, most internet people form opinions based on ideas found within their bubbles. Not worth the skin of a used golf ball.

The easy call on this in Congress that would satisfy many is to raise the age to buy semi auto rifles and all handguns to 21. They'll call it "regulating" the possession of arms so as to use 2A language.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

These Republicans that keep saying we should have armed guards at schools and let teachers carry are the same ones that keep cutting funding to schools in their state in favor of private schools.
So how are they going to afford security guards and more cameras and attack drones.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

CDFingers wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:01 am "Vanishingly rare." The media needs clicks, so even if one man bites a dog, everyone sees ten articles about it, a panel discussion, and a debate between competing parties. Very few people step into the stream of the media fire hose (reddit) to it "all" in an unfiltered fashion. Thus, most internet people form opinions based on ideas found within their bubbles. Not worth the skin of a used golf ball.

The easy call on this in Congress that would satisfy many is to raise the age to buy semi auto rifles and all handguns to 21. They'll call it "regulating" the possession of arms so as to use 2A language.

CDFingers
I'd love to see the federal 3 day loophole closed. The Charleston church shooter got his gun via this stupidity.
I think an expanded and more effective BGC..that may be tied to a 'waiting period'...Better BGC takes time.
Remove 3 day loophole.
21yo minimum age
Fed financial incentives to states to adopt a decent RedFlagLaw..

But could be wrong, been wrong before. Hardware bans do nuthing, particularly since it will be grand fathered and there are 20million or so 'AR' type rifles on the street now.

Biden's TV address was just a repeat of all the usual gun restrictions the Democrats label "sensible gun laws". It's always demands, demands, demands and rarely any negotiations, Dems constantly play to the anti-gun groups, the blue coasts and urban areas.

If they want to raise the age to purchase firearms, then gun groups should demand that all states be required to have "shall issue" concealed carry laws. Failure to enact "shall issue" would result in loss of federal highway funds like the feds did with the drinking age. In exchange for UBC for all sales and transfers, then congress would have to enact national concealed carry reciprocity which exists for drivers licenses and others. Neither party is really serious about negotiations, they play to their bases.

3 Dead, At Least 11 Wounded In Downtown Philadelphia Shooting

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Gunfire killed three people and wounded at least 11 others in a popular downtown Philadelphia entertainment district late Saturday night, authorities said.

Police officers were patrolling the area on South Street in downtown Philadelphia when they heard multiple gunshots and witnessed several suspects firing into a large crowd just before midnight, Police Inspector D. F. Pace said during a news conferenc
Full article https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fatal-d ... a9389aea8e

Anybody’s guess why, but bet it may be Gang related.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:11 pm
3 Dead, At Least 11 Wounded In Downtown Philadelphia Shooting

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Gunfire killed three people and wounded at least 11 others in a popular downtown Philadelphia entertainment district late Saturday night, authorities said.

Police officers were patrolling the area on South Street in downtown Philadelphia when they heard multiple gunshots and witnessed several suspects firing into a large crowd just before midnight, Police Inspector D. F. Pace said during a news conferenc
Full article https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fatal-d ... a9389aea8e

Anybody’s guess why, but bet it may be Gang related.
Someone has been charged.
https://phillyda.org/dao-announces-murd ... -shooting/

There has been video available for days showing the start of the violence:
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/lo ... t/3263798/

tonguengroover wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:53 am These Republicans that keep saying we should have armed guards at schools and let teachers carry are the same ones that keep cutting funding to schools in their state in favor of private schools.
So how are they going to afford security guards and more cameras and attack drones.
These school 'improvements' also mean that these dim bulbs ADMIT there are a bunch of weirdos 'out there', armed to the teeth, that intend to do harm to schools and their children. Along with permit-less CCW..admitting that there are many unhinged people walking around with a bunch of guns, obtained legally. AND that LE either can't or won't protect you.

With neither side (why are there only two?) willing to budge, the fire may well have to burn itself out. Don't call Captain Beatty to help with this one!

From time to time the tree needs refreshed... The most important thing is to keep state power out of the hands of God.

What does He need with a starship anyway?
This isn't going well, is it?

As I read through this, it hits me:
1. real mass shootings are a statistically rare event
2. huge amounts of human energy has gone into vilifying and incremental banning of guns
3. and hundreds of million dollars have been spent on vilifying and incremental banning of guns.
Therefore, it seems to me that if all that energy had not been wasted on a statistically small issue,
ALL Americans would have reproductive freedom. More Americans will die from the lack of reproductive freedom than will die from mass shootings.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Hiker wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:26 pm As I read through this, it hits me:
2. huge amounts of human energy has gone into vilifying and incremental banning of guns
3. and hundreds of million dollars have been spent on vilifying and incremental banning of guns.
Therefore, it seems to me that if all that energy had not been wasted on a statistically small issue,
ALL Americans would have reproductive freedom. More Americans will die from the lack of reproductive freedom than will die from mass shootings.
Agree.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

First, the idea that all Americans count is simply silly. We, as a Nation, have decided that it is the massed dollars that have significance.

The money was not wasted but rather spent in the best way to avoid major disruption of the status quo. Towards that end it has been a successful investment.

Until Citizen United is overturned there is no path towards avoiding Fascism.
Fascism is a form of far-right, authoritarian ultranationalism, characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition, and strong regimentation of society and the economy
What's good for American Industry is good for America.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Hiker wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:26 pm As I read through this, it hits me:
I agree. Politicians, their wealthy donors and the media have all been complicit in the myth that guns are the source of all of our woes.