Update your iPhone, iPad...

Apple is directing users of most of its devices to update their software after the company discovered a vulnerability in its operating systems that it says "may have been actively exploited."

In security updates posted online on Wednesday and Thursday, Apple said the vulnerability affects iPhones dating back to the 6S model, iPad 5th generation and later, iPad Air 2 and later, iPad mini 4 and later, all iPad Pro models and the 7th generation iPod touch. Apple (AAPL) said the vulnerabilities give hackers the ability to take control of a device's operating system to "execute arbitrary code" and potentially infiltrate devices through "maliciously crafted web content."

The vulnerability also extends to Mac computers running the company's Monterey OS as well as Apple's Safari browser on its Big Sur and Catalina operating systems, the company said in a subsequent update.

Cybersecurity experts urged Apple users to update their devices, with the US government's Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency warning that "an attacker could exploit one of these vulnerabilities to take control of an affected device." The agency said affected users should "apply the necessary updates as soon as possible."
https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/18/tech/app ... index.html

The update is 15.6.1.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: Update your iPhone, iPad...

I agree CDF, mobile phone manufacturers and carriers are grifters. A lot of people went to iPhones because of the security, but with Israelis NSO Group's Pegasus software no mobile phone is secure. And as discussed months ago, Apple isn't this big defender of privacy as we saw with China.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_(spyware)
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Interesting that you never hear about the government complaining that they can’t get data from an android phone, like they do with the Apple iPhone. It’s because when Apple find a security hole they update and black it. Apple iPhones is the single largest mobile phone brand, so it is the biggest target. With Android phones there is so many versions it is hard to block the holes.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

CDFingers wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:33 am Just last night I upgraded my Linux laptop to Ubuntu 22 something or other. Apple stuff is a grift.

CDFingers
Me, too!! Ubunto 22.04.1 LTS - got a scare when it wouldn't recognize my log in after update. Was shitting bricks - fired up another computer to try to find solution, but did a reboot on the update and it all came back and let me in. So far quite happy. This version more wifi friendly and now able to use my 5G rather than 2.4G. Seems much snappier even before 5G connected. Now if I can find away to get my Quicken info into gnucash I'll be a happy camper. Still can't for some reason get Ethernet port to work even with update - not sure what that's about.

As for Apple - not an adherent of anything Apple - never have, never will. They are on par with Twit and FB IMHO as something to avoid.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

To each his own.I have run Apple products since 1981. I have also used Microsoft and Linux computers have been certified in Windows OS Cisco Networking etc. I have found that Apple products meet my and my wife's needs. BTW what OS do you use for streaming TV and smart home control Alexia or Apple?
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:36 am To each his own.I have run Apple products since 1981. I have also used Microsoft and Linux computers have been certified in Windows OS Cisco Networking etc. I have found that Apple products meet my and my wife's needs. BTW what OS do you use for streaming TV and smart home control Alexia or Apple?
Two Smart TV's and haven't a clue what they use. Do have one Roku with OS 11 and Amazon Firestick which is Androidish - no smart home control other than my NEST thermo and Flume water usage monitor.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Drove a mac for...25 years, got hooked because they were the gold standard for graphics and audio shit. Being rather heavily invested, i bought the latest bestest Mac pro in 2012 because I thought my 2000 G4 might not be serviceable much longer...

only to discover that none of the shit I had invested in was compatible with their new firmware.

Last January the mac pro died. Mother board, or so i think. Taking access to everything with it... So I called Apple and asked if any of their new shit would permit access to the old shit. They said "no."

My son has been playing with it, looking for what failed. So far nothing...leading me to wonder if it's failure might not be ...?

The mac fixing place I went to had a wall made out of mac pros...a whole fucking wall. They also had planter boxes under their windows made out of mac pro cases. Fellow said mine might make a good litter box if I take the guts out, but that is all it's good for.

There are, however, windows based extraction programs that I can use...one file at a time. And the drives are intact.

Mac is a cult. Its members are insane.

Oh, and that G4...still going strong.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

Wino wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:27 am
CDFingers wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:33 am Just last night I upgraded my Linux laptop to Ubuntu 22 something or other. Apple stuff is a grift.

CDFingers
Me, too!! Ubunto 22.04.1 LTS - got a scare when it wouldn't recognize my log in after update. Was shitting bricks - fired up another computer to try to find solution, but did a reboot on the update and it all came back and let me in. So far quite happy. This version more wifi friendly and now able to use my 5G rather than 2.4G. Seems much snappier even before 5G connected. Now if I can find away to get my Quicken info into gnucash I'll be a happy camper. Still can't for some reason get Ethernet port to work even with update - not sure what that's about.

As for Apple - not an adherent of anything Apple - never have, never will. They are on par with Twit and FB IMHO as something to avoid.
The upgrade ate my cookies. Hilarity ensued. Baked more.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

tonguengroover wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:05 pm No plug in hole on my wifes expensive iphone POS lol
Plug in hole for what? If it has the plug in hole for the charger there is an adaptor you plug the ear bud cable into and then the charger hole.

I have a nephew by marriage that makes a living supporting the old computers and Microshit OS for the old Mom and Pop businesses. Many are still using Floppy Drives and software that was barely able to run post Y2K. But they know how to get things done and are able to get by.

CDFingers wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:33 pm Getting by is a thing for us old farts. If it's not broken and still works, what the heck, you know? That's why my wife still keeps me around. I don't need more than 64K RAM.

CDFingers
And that is using 8K for the OS. :thumbup:

TrueTexan wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:35 pm
CDFingers wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:33 pm Getting by is a thing for us old farts. If it's not broken and still works, what the heck, you know? That's why my wife still keeps me around. I don't need more than 64K RAM.

CDFingers
And that is using 8K for the OS. :thumbup:
My OS needs only a 6PK.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Yes, but are you connected to that Interweb via dial-up modem to see them nekid pictures that people keep talkin’ about?

A stack of old Playboys are doing just fine.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

CDFingers wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:17 pm
Wino wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:27 am

CDFingers

The upgrade ate my cookies. Hilarity ensued. Baked more.

CDFingers
LOL - Yeah!! I spent about 45-60 minutes getting back into bank/stocks and several sites (LGC for one). ID codes to cell phone to get back in as proof it's me, but all is good today and I finally found the secret sauce to single click rather than dbl. to open files and sites. Late 2021 I returned to Ububtu after dropping at vers. 9 about 10 years ago. Then my main comp (this one) had Win 10 (upgraded free from Win 7) took a dump and MS would NOT let me reload Win 10 on line or with ISO disk on this machine saying it was incompatible security wise nor could it qualify for 11 - seems THAT should be MY decision - considering I'd been running 10 on it for couple of years The improvements in Ubuntu from 9 to 22 has been phenomenal. I'm not sure I'll ever need to get a Win 11 machine or even want, too. Still run Win98SE on my, now closed, business office comp.
Have a great weekend all !!

TrueTexan wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:17 pm
tonguengroover wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:05 pm No plug in hole on my wifes expensive iphone POS lol
Plug in hole for what? If it has the plug in hole for the charger there is an adaptor you plug the ear bud cable into and then the charger hole.
Pffffft
I can plug in a cable to my old reciever and stream music from my android and get Xm radio by my pool.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”