AOC Slams GOP for Banning Children’s Book “Life of Rosa Parks” for Being “Woke”

As the House debated a Republican bill that would unleash a flood of racist, far right abuse on schools and children across the U.S., Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-New York) delivered a fiery speech on Thursday condemning Republicans for their clear embrace of fascism.

The bill, which passed the House largely on party lines on Friday morning, would force schools to disclose their curriculum and library catalogs to parents, and would also order schools to out LGBTQ children to their parents — even if such a move would put the child in danger of abuse.

Introduced following a rash of book bans in Republican-led states and districts, the bill takes the next step in advancing fascism across the country; if it were passed, it would more than likely ignite a huge wave of book bans and attacks on educators across the country while also further terrorizing trans children in a time of widespread attacks on their rights.
Full article: https://truthout.org/articles/aoc-slams ... eing-woke/

Banning or burning books is getting to be popular in the Rightwing, with a multiple sided attack. As the quote goes,"Fascism comes to America wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: AOC Slams GOP for Banning Children’s Book “Life of Rosa Parks” for Being “Woke”

This should be a warning to dems. In reality it’s a nonissue since biden would never sign it and currently wouldn’t pass the senate. The warning in my mind is dems need to concentrate on consensus issues from now on and drop their war on guns and the second amendment.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: AOC Slams GOP for Banning Children’s Book “Life of Rosa Parks” for Being “Woke”

sikacz wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:51 am This should be a warning to dems. In reality it’s a nonissue since biden would never sign it and currently wouldn’t pass the senate. The warning in my mind is dems need to concentrate on consensus issues from now on and drop their war on guns and the second amendment.
Exactly, just think of all the bills that Pelosi's Democratic controlled House passed that had ZERO chance of becoming law. Politicians of both parties are media whores, they are whoring for the home audience and they'll insert some bullshit statements in the Congressional Record, so they look like they're catering to all their constituent needs.

And the media organizations who print this stuff are whoring for readers and the political party that they align with, in this case AOC and the Democrats. Yes, if Democrats want to pass bills they need consensus ones like Mary Peltota's bill.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

sikacz wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:51 am This should be a warning to dems. In reality it’s a nonissue since biden would never sign it and currently wouldn’t pass the senate. The warning in my mind is dems need to concentrate on consensus issues from now on and drop their war on guns and the second amendment.
Most informed voters are NOT so vehemently single issue. BUT, The dem 'war on guns' is again front and center as a woman uses 2 ARs kills 3 9year olds.

Consensus issues for Dems is easy.
-Anti-book burning
-Pro women reproductive rights
-Pro economic policies that help more than the big $ GOP
-Pro LGBTQ rights
-Pro voter's rights
-Pro things that can help to prevent 9 yo's from being killed in schools
-ETC-
The 2A fanatics had better get in front of this or after the Dems take the WH and congress..after YOUR freedom caucus kill the economy(debt ceiling BS)...You WILL see some gun control stuff.

And remember...inaction favors the OPPRESSOR, neutrality damages the oppressed...as in, get rid of the GOP fascists first....wring your hands about a single issue helps the likes of trump get into power and stay there.
Last edited by F4FEver on Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

In Utah(?) a parent has demanded that The Bible be banned from their local school's libraries and cited chapter and verse of sex, sexual perversion, etc. Of course the ReThugs who WROTE the unconstitutional law are screaming "BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT WE INTENDED! IT'S NOT RIGHT!" Because they want to ban books about LGBTQ+, sex in general (including The Diary of A Young Girl, by Anne Frank), about how Black people were FORCED to come to the Americas, forced to build our economies here, in Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean, and even about the evils of Slavery and Jim Crow.

"BUT NOT OUR BIBLE!!!!!!!!!" Bastards, every one of them.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:09 am In Utah(?) a parent has demanded that The Bible be banned from their local school's libraries and cited chapter and verse of sex, sexual perversion, etc. Of course the ReThugs who WROTE the unconstitutional law are screaming "BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT WE INTENDED! IT'S NOT RIGHT!" Because they want to ban books about LGBTQ+, sex in general (including The Diary of A Young Girl, by Anne Frank), about how Black people were FORCED to come to the Americas, forced to build our economies here, in Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean, and even about the evils of Slavery and Jim Crow.

The GOPathetic are dangerous...Unfortunately, also very pro 2A, for those single issue voters. BUT, these fascists need to be removed first and foremost. The country, along with the economy(debt ceiling) are at a tipping point. The red states will stay that way but congress and any POTUS candidates(trump)must be cleansed of the anti-american traitors.

NOT voting because of some AWB rhetoric damages the oppressed.

I'm not for banning books, besides many homes already have copies of the bible so it's meaningless to try and ban it. Then you have the right trying to ban the works of Karl Marx and the left trying to ban Mein Kompf. Politics is drama and I refuse to participate in the hyped and fake drama.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:09 am In Utah(?) a parent has demanded that The Bible be banned from their local school's libraries and cited chapter and verse of sex, sexual perversion, etc. Of course the ReThugs who WROTE the unconstitutional law are screaming "BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT WE INTENDED! IT'S NOT RIGHT!" Because they want to ban books about LGBTQ+, sex in general (including The Diary of A Young Girl, by Anne Frank), about how Black people were FORCED to come to the Americas, forced to build our economies here, in Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean, and even about the evils of Slavery and Jim Crow.

I wonder if they are going to ban classic books where similar topics are revealed. A 'lolita' book came to mind here. If someone doesn't know it, you can find a short lolita summary and find out how this book deals with the sexual abuse of minors. It seems to me that such topics should not be banned, but on the contrary, widely discussed. It is not possible to hide society's problems through the book banning. They need to be known and resolved. I hope this book banning will stop soon.
Last edited by maybelle on Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

highdesert wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:23 am I'm not for banning books, besides many homes already have copies of the bible so it's meaningless to try and ban it. Then you have the right trying to ban the works of Karl Marx and the left trying to ban Mein Kompf. Politics is drama and I refuse to participate in the hyped and fake drama.
I suspect the Utah parent who was trying to ban the bible doesn't actually support banning books and was only doing so to shine a spotlight on the law/process itself. They're saying, 'if you want to pass book banning laws, here's what it's going to look like.' It's a similar tactic to the Satanic Church trying to put Baphomet statue next to the Ten Commandments statue at the Oklahoma state capitol.
Whatever I said above, just pretend I included the obligatory “both sides,” especially if I said something mean about Trump (don’t want to hurt any feelings).

www.schayden.com

Greengunner wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:27 am
highdesert wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:23 am I'm not for banning books, besides many homes already have copies of the bible so it's meaningless to try and ban it. Then you have the right trying to ban the works of Karl Marx and the left trying to ban Mein Kompf. Politics is drama and I refuse to participate in the hyped and fake drama.
I suspect the Utah parent who was trying to ban the bible doesn't actually support banning books and was only doing so to shine a spotlight on the law/process itself. They're saying, 'if you want to pass book banning laws, here's what it's going to look like.' It's a similar tactic to the Satanic Church trying to put Baphomet statue next to the Ten Commandments statue at the Oklahoma state capitol.
That's how I interpret it as well. I'm old enough to remember when certain Democrats started banning The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and having read it myself as a child, I was aghast at this. I then asked, "are they going to ban Roots next?" As it turns out, the school district where I worked did in fact ban Roots as well from the curriculum. I was speaking with a Black American English teacher at one of the local high schools about this. He said that due to the controversy, it was unlikely that either book would be used as curriculum again. He was being cool about it, but I could tell that he wasn't exactly comfortable with this ban.

For those who haven't read either of these books, both of them are among the sharpest criticisms of slavery that American literature has produced.

Book-burning and book-banning are disgusting and have no place in a free society, even books whose content we might object to, and that's true no matter who does it. Voltaire was right.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

CowboyT wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:22 pm
Greengunner wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:27 am
That's how I interpret it as well. I'm old enough to remember when certain Democrats started banning The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and having read it myself as a child, I was aghast at this. I then asked, "are they going to ban Roots next?" As it turns out, the school district where I worked did in fact ban Roots as well from the curriculum. I was speaking with a Black American English teacher at one of the local high schools about this. He said that due to the controversy, it was unlikely that either book would be used as curriculum again. He was being cool about it, but I could tell that he wasn't exactly comfortable with this ban.

For those who haven't read either of these books, both of them are among the sharpest criticisms of slavery that American literature has produced.

Book-burning and book-banning are disgusting and have no place in a free society, even books whose content we might object to, and that's true no matter who does it. Voltaire was right.
You know I'm 49 years old and I've never actually read Roots. I probably need to correct that.
Whatever I said above, just pretend I included the obligatory “both sides,” especially if I said something mean about Trump (don’t want to hurt any feelings).

www.schayden.com

I'm of similar vintage, and never read it either. But the miniseries was part of my grade school curriculum. Right around February, as I recall. I remember the combination of discomfort juxtaposed against the understanding of why it was uncomfortable and why it was important to face it. I've since come to recognize that the difference between me and a MAGA-hat wearing reactionary may be as slim as a sliver of parentally-sanctioned bias and racism applied in youth.

I look back at my childhood and think of the impact certain books from the school library had on me, and I see why they go after books the way that they do. i don't understand how they can't recognize evil when it whispers to them, but it seems to be a common failing.

The Good Book is being treated like a bad book in Utah after a parent frustrated by efforts to ban materials from schools convinced a suburban district that some Bible verses were too vulgar or violent for younger children. And the Book of Mormon could be next. The 72,000-student Davis School District north of Salt Lake City removed the Bible from its elementary and middle schools while keeping it in high schools after a committee reviewed the scripture in response to a parental complaint. The district has removed other titles, including Sherman Alexie’s “The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian” and John Green’s “Looking for Alaska,” following a 2022 state law requiring districts to include parents in decisions over what constitutes “sensitive material.”

On Friday, a complaint was submitted about the signature scripture of the predominant faith in Utah, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, widely known as the Mormon church. District spokesperson Chris Williams confirmed that someone filed a review request for the Book of Mormon but would not say what reasons were listed. Citing a school board privacy policy, he also would not say whether it was from the same person who complained about the Bible.
https://apnews.com/article/book-ban-sch ... ee1899608a