Re: Tucker Carlson and Don Lemon BOTH Fired!

As much as I want to gloat that Tucker is gone from Faux Nooz, and as much as I believe he was fired (even though the separation wasn't officially described that way in public announcements by FNooz), I worry that he'll still have a big platform somewhere (OAN, perhaps?) or that he might use some of his ill-inherited trust fund or whatever it is to create some new platform from which to spew his vile garbage.

But, yes, I'm glad he's off Faux Nooz. That's an indication that someone is paying attention to the books. If he's costing them more money than he brings in ad revenues, he's a liability. I've a feeling that once the Smartmatic suit gets a little farther along, more heads will roll (at least metaphorically).
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:01 pm Nothing changes at Faux Noise. Just faces, not the culture of lies, propaganda, and the goal of the destruction of Democracy to be replaced by corporate dictatorship, maybe with a garnish of religious fervor.
Yep, they are all talking heads, spewing the Corporate Filth line. It's been hard to tell them apart, truth be told.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

I posted this on the appeals thread.
Fox News and Tucker Carlson, the right-wing extremist who hosted the network’s highly rated 8pm hour, have severed ties, the network said in a stunning announcement Monday. The announcement came one week after Fox News settled a monster defamation lawsuit with Dominion Voting Systems for $787.5 million over the network’s dissemination of election lies. Fox News said that Carlson’s last show was Friday, April 21. Tucker Carlson was a key figure in Dominion Voting Systems’ mammoth defamation lawsuit against Fox News, which the parties settled last week on the brink of trial for a historic $787 million.
Dominion got its hands on Carlson’s group chat with fellow Fox primetime stars Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham, and a trove of other messages from around the 2020 presidential election. These communications revealed that Carlson told confidants that he “passionately” hated former President Donald Trump and that Trump’s tenure in the White House was a “disaster.” He also used misogynistic terms to criticize pro-Trump lawyer Sidney Powell and reject her conspiracies about the 2020 election – even as those wild theories got airtime on Fox News. The lawsuit exposed how Carlson privately held a wholly different view than his on-air persona.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/24/media/tu ... index.html

No word if or how much of a golden parachute he got, I'm sure he'll land softly. People assume that these commentators believe the shit they say, they're actors as much as politicians.

Don Lemon has been skirting the edge for awhile, a17 year employee of CNN, he probably thought he could do no wrong.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:06 pm Golden Parachute? They've been paying the POS $35 million per year! Would YOU need a Golden Parachute after making that kind of bux?
We'll see, no doubt he has good lawyers who negotiated his contract. He could get the $35 million for an extended period and Fox could have added a non-compete clause. It will leak out eventually.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

A Fox News representative had no other details on Carlson’s exit. People familiar with the situation who were not authorized to comment publicly said the decision to fire Carlson came straight from Fox Corp. Chairman Rupert Murdoch. Carlson’s exit is related to the discrimination lawsuit filed by Abby Grossberg, the producer fired by the network last month, the people said. Carlson’s senior executive producer Justin Wells has also been terminated, according to people familiar with the matter. A Fox News representative would not comment.

Murdoch is also said to be concerned over Carlson’s coverage of the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, in which the host has promoted the conspiracy theory that it was provoked by government agents. Carlson has called Ray Epps — a Texas man who participated in the storming of the Capitol but did not enter the building — an FBI plant, without presenting any evidence. Epps was interviewed Sunday on “60 Minutes” and said he has been subjected to death threats as a result of Carlson’s statements about him. The FBI told “60 Minutes” that Epps has never worked for the agency.
Starting Monday, Carlson’s 8 p.m. Eastern time slot will be filled by rotating Fox News personalities until a new host is named, the company said.
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... t-fox-news

A lot of theories floating around.

“I was informed this morning by my agent that I have been terminated by CNN,” Lemon wrote in a statement posted on Twitter. “I am stunned. After 17 years at CNN I would have thought that someone in management would have had the decency to tell me directly.” His departure was swift. Lemon had appeared on “CNN This Morning” earlier in the day. The network confirmed the news in a statement.
But CNN also challenged Lemon’s account of how he was fired. “Don Lemon’s statement about this morning’s events is inaccurate,” the network said in a statement posted online. “He was offered an opportunity to meet with management but instead released a statement on Twitter.” The move came as CNN began facing resistance from advertisers and potential guests for the morning news program “CNN This Morning,” which Lemon co-anchored, according to people familiar with the matter who were not authorized to comment.
CNN’s new owners Warner Bros. Discovery tasked [CNN CEO Chris] Licht with tempering CNN’s most outspoken anchors and attracting more conservatives to appear on the network.
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... -fired-cnn

CNN’s new owners Warner Bros. Discovery tasked [CNN CEO Chris] Licht with tempering CNN’s most outspoken anchors and attracting more conservatives to appear on the network.
That last bit is troubling, for sure. CNN is already right-of-center (just look at all the air time they gave the former guy and the various shills for him in 2016).

INVICTVS138 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:16 pm Best theory my neighbor just came up with:

Tucker was fired as part of the dominion settlement. FOX were allowed to wait a week or so to make it seem like it was related to other factors, but he was their top host and this allowed dominion and Rupert Murdoch both a victory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Likely.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

The mystery surrounding Tucker Carlson’s ouster from the airwaves at Fox News — and his future plans in media — are coming into sharper focus. On April 26, Carlson spoke by phone with one of Fox Corp.’s eight board members, who told the host that his recent benching was a condition of Fox News’ settlement with Dominion Voting Systems, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the conversation. The unnamed board member told Carlson that the condition does not appear in any of the settlement’s documents, and instead was a verbal agreement. If Fox didn’t comply, the settlement was off, Carlson was told. Dominion had plenty of leverage given that the $787.5 million deal to settle Dominion’s defamation suit against the network wouldn’t officially close until late-May.

If Dominion opted to blow up the deal, Fox would return to square one on settlement talks or potentially subject the Murdoch family empire to a jury trial that would undoubtedly expose more embarrassing details about the operation of Fox News and fallout from its 2020 president election coverage. Unlike Sean Hannity, Jeanine Pirro and Maria Bartiromo, Carlson wasn’t a key player in the suit that claimed Fox News repeatedly and knowingly aired false claims about the company with regards to the 2020 U.S. presidential election. But Dominion was looking for the best way to maim the conservative news network, and forcing Fox News to cut ties with the most-watched personality in cable news would deal a potentially insurmountable blow and lead to a viewer exodus, according to Carlson’s understanding.

“That condition was intended to hurt Fox, and Tucker is just collateral damage,” says a source familiar with the matter. “Dominion wanted to punish Fox, and it’s working.” Dominion and Fox Corp. both strongly dispute that the decision to take Carlson off the air was directly linked to the settlement.
After learning that he was being sidelined on April 24, Carlson hired high-powered Hollywood attorney Bryan Freedman for the contract dispute. Freedman — whose other media clients include Don Lemon (ousted by CNN on the same day as the Carlson-Fox split), Megyn Kelly, Chris Cuomo and Tiffany Cross — is well known as the lawyer you retain when you are ready to go to war with a media giant. As such, Freedman sent a letter to Fox on May 9 saying Fox employees, including “Rupert Murdoch himself,” broke promises to Carlson “intentionally and with reckless disregard for the truth.” (A source says Fox has not yet responded to the letter.)
https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/tucker ... 235613404/

It's more speculation. Carlson is still employed by Fox, his contract expires in 2025.

Yes, that could never have been made part of the written settlement, but a verbal agreement and the threat that Dominion would torpedo the whole settlement if it wasn't done, sounds plausible. Smart lawyers. New Nielsen ratings are out and Fox as expected was down because of Carlson's exit, but Fox did better than CNN which also went down. Newsmax even did better than CNN.

Theoretically, if Fox still has Carlson under contract until 2025 and they both don’t agree to amicably dissolve their relationship…
I see Fox hanging Carlson by the balls on this one. And his high power (read: expensive) attorney will huff and puff to make his money only to have Carlson walk out the back door with box in hand so he is free to work for another platform before 2025. A two year desk job, the equivalent of a gag order, would probably be insufferable for Carlson.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi