Justice Department Charging Rep. George Santos In Federal Probe

The Department of Justice has filed criminal charges against Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.), CNN is reporting.

The charges haven’t been announced, but the controversial member of Congress is expected to appear as soon as Wednesday at federal court in New York’s Eastern District.

A request for comment to Santos’ office was not immediately returned.

ABC News reported that the nature of the charges are unclear since the charges are under seal. CNN is speculating that the charges could be connected to allegations of false statements in Santos’ campaign finance filings and other claims that have been the subject of investigations by the FBI and the Justice Department’s public integrity prosecutors in New York and Washington.

According to NBC News, two federal law enforcement sources confirmed back in December that prosecutors from the Eastern District of New York were examining Santos’ finances, including potential irregularities involving financial disclosures and loans he made to his congressional campaign.

In February, the FBI said that it was also looking into the case of a Navy veteran who accused Santos of stealing thousands of dollars from a GoFundMe campaign that was supposed to cover lifesaving surgery for the man’s service dog.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/rep-geo ... 16f19f4ae8

It’s a great day, TOS found guilty and Santos is being criminally charged. Is MTG next?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: Justice Department Charging Rep. George Santos In Federal Probe

I'll bet even in prison Santos refuses to resign. Normally, even in the MOST partisan Congress, once convicted, the House would have NO problem reaching the 2/3 super-majority needed to expel the crooked putz, but I just cannot see 75 to 80 ReThugs crossing lines to expel him. (It takes approx. 290 for a 2/3 majority).
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

highdesert wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:42 am It was just a matter of time, the Nassau County DA hasn't brought any charges so far. Until he's convicted and sentenced I expect he'll still be around the House, McCarthy needs every vote he can get and Democrats know it.
Yeah, Mac's getting closer and closer to the precipice. He's got a 9-vote majority and the loss of Santos will reduce that to 7 (since it is 99.99999% certain Santos will be replaced by a Dem). And there are LOTS more than 7 lunatics who think blowing up the economy and the Constitution is a Good Thing.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:51 am
highdesert wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:42 am It was just a matter of time, the Nassau County DA hasn't brought any charges so far. Until he's convicted and sentenced I expect he'll still be around the House, McCarthy needs every vote he can get and Democrats know it.
Yeah, Mac's getting closer and closer to the precipice. He's got a 9-vote majority and the loss of Santos will reduce that to 7 (since it is 99.99999% certain Santos will be replaced by a Dem). And there are LOTS more than 7 lunatics who think blowing up the economy and the Constitution is a Good Thing.
I suspect that when it really comes down to it, some GOPs, in purple districts, will vote to raise the debt ceiling. Not doing so means they 'may' not be reelected, and be seen as one who actively hurt their constituents

The Justice Department on Wednesday unsealed federal charges against Rep. George Santos and the New York Republican is in custody. Santos, whose astonishing pattern of lies and fabrications stunned even hardened politicos, has been charged on a 13-count indictment, including seven counts of wire fraud, three counts of money laundering, one count of theft of public funds, and two counts of making materially false statements to the House of Representatives. He was taken into custody in Melville on Long Island, where the FBI is housed, a law enforcement source told CNN. From there, he was taken to the courthouse in Central Islip. Santos is expected to appear later Wednesday at federal court in New York’s Eastern District.
The charges do not, from a legal standpoint, affect Santos’ status as a member of Congress. Nothing in the Constitution’s requirements for congressional office bars individuals under criminal indictment or conviction from serving, except for the 14th Amendment prohibitions for certain treasonous conduct committed after a member has taken the oath of office. Under the formal rules for the US House of Representatives, according to a Congressional Research Service report, “an indicted Member may continue to participate in congressional proceedings and considerations.” However, if a member is convicted of a crime that could result in a punishment of two or more years in prison, they are instructed under House rules not to participate in votes on the floor or in committee votes.

McCarthy, when asked whether he would continue to stand by Santos, told CNN Tuesday his policy is that a member of Congress should resign after being found guilty of charges and referenced former GOP Rep. Jeff Fortenberry, who resigned after being convicted of concealing information and making false statements to federal authorities in connection with a probe into illegal campaign contributions. “Just like we had before with Jeff Fortenberry, he had the same ability, I removed him from committees, but he was found guilty and then I told him he needed to resign. That is my policies and principles on this,” McCarthy said
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/09/politics ... index.html
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan