NRA-ILA Posts Article Almost Mentioning "Root Cause Mitigation"

Not that much of their membership will take notice but it is a step in the right direction.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2023060 ... n-violence
A first of its kind study published in late May in the American Medical Association’s JAMA Network Open concluded that community-level “social vulnerability” factors like poverty, unemployment, crowded housing, and minority status were much more likely than “permissive” gun control laws to be strongly associated with a high gun-violence death rate among youth.

Re: NRA-ILA Posts Article Almost Mentioning "Root Cause Mitigation"

At least someone else is finally stepping in and saying the same thing as us. Restrictions and bans don’t solve violence:
The worst 1% of counties (the worst 31 counties) had 21% of the population but experienced 42% of the murders. An appendix to the study lists the “worst 1% of counties in 2020 in terms of number of murders.” At the top of the list are Cook County, IL and Los Angeles County, CA – both in states that are A-rated for their gun control laws by the Giffords Law Center. Numbers four and five on the list are Philadelphia and New York City’s five counties, likewise in states that are classed as “restrictive” gun control states (awarded a B and an A rating, respectively, from Giffords).
But, we known this and have said it many time here; address the underlying causes of violence.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

This cross-sectional study of youths who died of assault-related firearm injury found that socially vulnerable communities in the US experience a disproportionate number of assault-related firearm deaths among youths. Although stricter state-level gun laws were associated with decreases in death rates in all communities, the rates in disadvantaged communities remained disproportionately higher, regardless of the strength of the gun laws. Thoughtful and sincere investment in the most disadvantaged communities with the aim of creating opportunity and building community health and safety should be considered an important public health strategy to successfully reduce youth gun violence.
I'm not a fan of public health gun studies, studies done by clinicians not PhD researchers and I have questions about their sources, but I agree with the result. Glad the NRA highlighted it.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:15 am
This cross-sectional study of youths who died of assault-related firearm injury found that socially vulnerable communities in the US experience a disproportionate number of assault-related firearm deaths among youths. Although stricter state-level gun laws were associated with decreases in death rates in all communities, the rates in disadvantaged communities remained disproportionately higher, regardless of the strength of the gun laws. Thoughtful and sincere investment in the most disadvantaged communities with the aim of creating opportunity and building community health and safety should be considered an important public health strategy to successfully reduce youth gun violence.
I'm not a fan of public health gun studies, studies done by clinicians not PhD researchers and I have questions about their sources, but I agree with the result. Glad the NRA highlighted it.
Sure, and highlighting the critical issues is important if violence is going to be addressed and reduced. I’m waiting for the nay sayers who swallow every democratic party bill on gun control here to chime in.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:00 am
Sure, and highlighting the critical issues is important if violence is going to be addressed and reduced. I’m waiting for the nay sayers who swallow every democratic party bill on gun control here to chime in.
Dem gun control necessarily obfuscates the "problem" and offers a "solution" that does nothing but restrict the rights of the law abiding. If Dem gun control offered an honest assessment of the "problem," the proffered "solution" would be laughed out of the fuckin room. There's hard societal work to do. Best ignore it and focus on "do something" for votes.... Fuckers.

featureless wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:06 am
Dem gun control necessarily obfuscates the "problem" and offers a "solution" that does nothing but restrict the rights of the law abiding. If Dem gun control offered an honest assessment of the "problem," the proffered "solution" would be laughed out of the fuckin room. There's hard societal work to do. Best ignore it and focus on "do something" for votes.... Fuckers.
Yup the most important thing to politicians of both parties is getting reelected, they all make excuses about why they didn't do what they pledged to do when they ran. Excuses, more lies and they always have their hands out asking for more money. Their big money donors are their priority not us.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

How about, when the GOPathetic yell, 'mental health problems', they actually do something about THAT 'root cause', rather than use it as a sound bite for the media right after that mass shooting? Something 'nay sayers' say after every mass shooting but alas, nothing gets done. In Red States. Like texass, and florida.

Jam poor people in slums and ghettos and you get more violence. Toss in firearms and you get gun violence. The PROBLEM is jamming poor people in slums and ghettos with inadequate housing, schools, healthcare, public services, etc. This has been true in nations forever.

Reduce the inequality of wealth and gun violence goes down. Sadly, that's the "alligator / swamp" problem.
When you're up to your ass in alligators it's hard to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp.

...and, in a bit of useless trivia, Hilton Head, South Carolina has alligators. "We're not moving there!" says my better half as we become empty-nesters in August. I never intended to!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."