Drama in the Houston mayor's race.

Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee allegedly went on a profane rant against members of her staff after an audio recording of her alleged tirade hit the Internet. The clip was posted online by a far-right Texas blog called Current Revolt on Saturday. The blow-up allegedly began when Jackson Lee was asking a staffer about a paper concerning Ovide Duncantell, founder of the Black Heritage Society. The Washington Examiner notes that “Duncantell was heavily involved in Houston politics during his lifetime, and Jackson Lee is currently running for mayor there.”

Allegedly, the staffer told Jackson Lee that another staffer called “Jerome” had the document, and he’d give him a call about it. That’s when Jackson Lee was alleged to have gone off on the both of them:
I don’t want you to do a g*ddamn thing. I want you to have a f*cking brain. I want you to have read it. I want you to say ‘Congresswoman, with such and such date.’ That’s what I want. That’s the kind of staff that I want to have.

So some stupid other motherf*cker did it. And, and I don’t have the information. Nobody sent me the information. I need to ensure schedule and, uh, you know, if Boo Boo did it, shitass did it, f*ckface did it. And nobody knows a g*ddamn thing in my office! Okay? Nothing!

I gave it to you. Your job was to get it on the calendar, imprint it in your brain, or send me the information back saying, ‘Congresswoman, I made sure that the Ovide Ducantell event that you gave me for a so-and-so date at seven is on the f*cking calendar.’ Not to ‘Oh Jerome has it.’Okay?

So when I called Jerome, he only sitting up there like a fatass stupid idiot talking about what the fuck he doesn’t know. Okay? Both of y’all are f*ck ups [inaudible]. It’s the worst sh*t that I could have ever had put together. Two g*ddamn big ass children f*cking idiots serve no g*ddamn purpose. Ain’t managing nobody. Nobody’s respecting them. Nobody gives a sh*t about what you’re doing and you ain’t doing sh*t. And this is an example of it. I gave it to Jerome. This is not child’s work.
Precise details about the clip and its authenticity are unknown, though the Houston Chronicle noted in their coverage that Jackson Lee “has long had a reputation as a demanding, sharp-talking boss.” The congresswoman’s mayoral campaign gave a statement to the Chronicle in which they did not deny that it was Jackson Lee’s voice on the tape, saying “This is a low handed political tactic meant to discredit a thriving mayoral campaign and distract voters ahead of the early voting period. It’s unsurprising that these attacks have originated from extremely conservative blogs and political operatives backing John Whitmire.”
https://www.mediaite.com/politics/fckin ... ked-audio/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: Drama in the Houston mayor's race.

I don’t intend to vote for Lee, she’s also an anti gun zealot. For the record, Whitmire is also a democrat. He hasn’t made a point of talking about assault weapon bans, Lee has. Mayoral races are non partisan, so yes, Whitmire is going to get some republican support since he is not seen as extreme. Whitmire has a long career as a Democrat Congressman and Senator in Texas. He is also the brother in law of Cathy Whitmire a former Democratic mayor of Houston. I’ll back Whitmire over Lee any day.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:31 pm I don’t intend to vote for Lee, she’s also an anti gun zealot. For the record, Whitmire is also a democrat. He hasn’t made a point of talking about assault weapon bans, Lee has. Mayoral races are non partisan, so yes, Whitmire is going to get some republican support since he is not seen as extreme. Whitmire has a long career as a Democrat Congressman and Senator in Texas. He is also the brother in law of Cathy Whitmire a former Democratic mayor of Houston. I’ll back Whitmire over Lee any day.
Thanks for the background, I don't know the candidates. Lee has probably done it for so long she forgets that mobile phones have recording apps and anyone on her staff or a volunteer could have recorded her tirade. It's likely that it was someone who she berated in the past. When even her campaign didn't deny it was Lee's voice, that validates it.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:00 pm
sikacz wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:31 pm I don’t intend to vote for Lee, she’s also an anti gun zealot. For the record, Whitmire is also a democrat. He hasn’t made a point of talking about assault weapon bans, Lee has. Mayoral races are non partisan, so yes, Whitmire is going to get some republican support since he is not seen as extreme. Whitmire has a long career as a Democrat Congressman and Senator in Texas. He is also the brother in law of Cathy Whitmire a former Democratic mayor of Houston. I’ll back Whitmire over Lee any day.
Thanks for the background, I don't know the candidates. Lee has probably done it for so long she forgets that mobile phones have recording apps and anyone on her staff or a volunteer could have recorded her tirade. It's likely that it was someone who she berated in the past. When even her campaign didn't deny it was Lee's voice, that validates it.
Getting ready to go vote today. There’s over a dozen candidates for mayor. Spent yesterday evening reading through each candidate. Lots of amendments, state, county and city. For mayor, I’m sure it’s going to be a runoff after the election. I found another candidate, a write-in that interested me. Her thoughts are refreshing as is her age, a lot younger. I’m inclined to give her my vote. If she fails to make it then, I’ll choose again for the runoff. Found a few other candidates for at large council that I hadn’t known about that I would like to see get an opportunity due to their thoughts and background.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:30 am
Getting ready to go vote today. There’s over a dozen candidates for mayor. Spent yesterday evening reading through each candidate. Lots of amendments, state, county and city. For mayor, I’m sure it’s going to be a runoff after the election. I found another candidate, a write-in that interested me. Her thoughts are refreshing as is her age, a lot younger. I’m inclined to give her my vote. If she fails to make it then, I’ll choose again for the runoff. Found a few other candidates for at large council that I hadn’t known about that I would like to see get an opportunity due to their thoughts and background.
Good luck and stay safe.

highdesert wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:36 am
sikacz wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:30 am
Good luck and stay safe.
Voting done!

sikacz wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:30 pm Voting done!
Good work. And that's what we need to see a lot more of in our country. Local elections matter, too, folks. Primaries do, state and county/municipal do, school board elections do. It's called, "actually research the candidates, then go to the ballot box and make an informed, principled vote."
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

CowboyT wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:32 pm
sikacz wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:30 pm Voting done!
Good work. And that's what we need to see a lot more of in our country. Local elections matter, too, folks. Primaries do, state and county/municipal do, school board elections do. It's called, "actually research the candidates, then go to the ballot box and make an informed, principled vote."
Usually it only takes the evening before, reading and getting familiar with the topics and the candidates. There’s plenty of sources for their positions on issues and explanations on the pros and cons of amendments and propositions. Really makes me wonder why the election cycle is so long. It’s not time consuming at all to make an informed decision and vote. Early voting is also good, it’s usually not crowded. LoL.

Two dems made it to the runoff, Whitmire and Lee. I believe Whitmire was in the high to mid 40’s and Lee in the 30’s the last I checked. Houston will have a non-partisan “dem” mayor. I’ll vote for Whitmire in December.

sikacz wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:02 am Two dems made it to the runoff, Whitmire and Lee. I believe Whitmire was in the high to mid 40’s and Lee in the 30’s the last I checked. Houston will have a non-partisan “dem” mayor. I’ll vote for Whitmire in December.
Lee's tirade likely didn't help her even in the black community. You're right on the vote count.
Whitmire 42.5%
Lee 35.6%

There were a lot of other candidates that won't be in the run off, depends on how their supporters vote in December.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2023-e ... or-results

highdesert wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:10 am
sikacz wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:02 am Two dems made it to the runoff, Whitmire and Lee. I believe Whitmire was in the high to mid 40’s and Lee in the 30’s the last I checked. Houston will have a non-partisan “dem” mayor. I’ll vote for Whitmire in December.
Lee's tirade likely didn't help her even in the black community. You're right on the vote count.
Whitmire 42.5%
Lee 35.6%

There were a lot of other candidates that won't be in the run off, depends on how their supporters vote in December.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2023-e ... or-results
Yes. I for one was ticked off by her blatant use of being the democrat in the race. It was wrong and she implied Whitmire was a republican. To boot she also made guns a campaign issue in her advertising. I think Whitmire will make a better mayor.

My candidate was a write-in. She had good responses in the League of Women Voters guide.

A poll on the Dec 9th run off election was released Monday.
Early voting in Houston's runoff elections starts today. A new poll shows State Senator John Whitmire with a seven-point lead over Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee in the mayor's race, with Whitmire leading or tying Jackson Lee among most key demographics. The Houston Public Media/Houston Chronicle/UH Political Science and Population Health Poll shows Whitmire with the support of 42% of likely voters, compared to 35% for Jackson Lee and 22% undecided. Roughly two-thirds of white voters favor Whitmire, while roughly two-thirds of Black voters support Jackson Lee. But University of Houston political scientist Brandon Rottinghaus noted that Black turnout in the first round of the mayoral election was down about 20% compared to eight years ago.

"For whatever reason, Black voters are not as enamored with Sheila Jackson Lee as they were with Sylvester Turner," Rottinghaus said. "You would need to see tremendous turnout in the African American community in order for Sheila Jackson Lee to overcome the support that John Whitmire gets among older Anglos, who are much more likely to vote in municipal elections." UH political scientist Jeronimo Cortina said the Latino vote is likely to prove critical, and there too, Whitmire appears to have the edge. "We’re talking about 43% versus 23%," Cortina said. "And partially, this is because Senator Whitmire got very important endorsements during his campaign (among others, Congresswoman Sylvia Garcia and State Senator Carol Alvarado), and Jackson Lee, perhaps, did not get as many as those endorsements. However, she got the endorsement of (Harris) County Judge Lina Hidalgo, so that also is important."

Whitmire also leads overwhelmingly among Republican and conservative voters. His endorsement by former Houston City Councilmember Jack Christie, who openly campaigned as a Republican in the first round, should help Whitmire pick up support among undecideds. "Typically, those undecideds are distributed to the most Republican member of the candidates who are running. Now, that’s not perfect here, because John Whitmire is obviously a Democrat, but he seemed to be much more conservative than she is in this poll," Rottinghaus said. "Sheila Jackson Lee is seen to be very liberal by many, and that’s something that can hurt her, especially among voters who are likely to turn out in a municipal race like this."
The poll included a question about how voters responded to leaked audio of Jackson Lee berating a staffer. The leak changed very few people's opinions of Jackson Lee, but there were two key exceptions.

"What’s interesting is that it actually affected women more than men and young people more than older people," Rottinghaus said. "So, this really cut to the core of her coalition. She needs younger people and women to support her, and the tape seems to have more of an adverse effect on those voters than others."
https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/arti ... oll-finds/

The Houston Chronicle came out with their endorsements.
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinio ... 504632.php

Hope your candidates win sika.

Texas State Senator John Whitmire has defeated Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee to win election as the 63rd mayor of Houston. The tally from the Harris County Clerk's Office showed Whitmire beating Jackson Lee by a margin of 65% to 35% with roughly over 131,000 early votes cast.
Black voters, a core constituency of Jackson Lee's, did not show the same support to the congresswoman in the first round of the mayoral contest as they did for Sylvester Turner, the current mayor, during his first victory in 2015. Turner had endorsed Jackson Lee in the current election. Whitmire also benefited from a plurality of support among Latino voters. And while Whitmire led among men in Houston Public Media's poll, he also tied among women, cutting into another critical Jackson Lee support group.
Whitmire made fighting crime and improving public safety the cornerstone of his campaign, saying he would bring 200 state troopers to Houston while the city hired and trained hundreds more police officers.
https://www.npr.org/2023/12/10/12184267 ... next-mayor

Lopsided run off in favor of Whitmire. I don't think Jackson Lee's drama on tape helped her.

highdesert wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:09 am
Texas State Senator John Whitmire has defeated Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee to win election as the 63rd mayor of Houston. The tally from the Harris County Clerk's Office showed Whitmire beating Jackson Lee by a margin of 65% to 35% with roughly over 131,000 early votes cast.
Black voters, a core constituency of Jackson Lee's, did not show the same support to the congresswoman in the first round of the mayoral contest as they did for Sylvester Turner, the current mayor, during his first victory in 2015. Turner had endorsed Jackson Lee in the current election. Whitmire also benefited from a plurality of support among Latino voters. And while Whitmire led among men in Houston Public Media's poll, he also tied among women, cutting into another critical Jackson Lee support group.
Whitmire made fighting crime and improving public safety the cornerstone of his campaign, saying he would bring 200 state troopers to Houston while the city hired and trained hundreds more police officers.
https://www.npr.org/2023/12/10/12184267 ... next-mayor

Lopsided run off in favor of Whitmire. I don't think Jackson Lee's drama on tape helped her.
Nope, it didn’t and neither did her claims to be the democrat in the race or her naive pandering to the anti gun groups and voters. Seems people who voted for her in the general stayed with her, but she didn’t pickup but a few in the runoff. She literally shot herself in the foot with her antics and her special interest focus on things that generally don’t belong in the mayor’s office in my opinion.
Wino wrote: It must be exhilarating to have someone you voted for win !! LOL
I voted for Turner too when he ran, so nothing too exhilarating in the event itself.

Following her loss in Saturday’s Houston mayoral runoff, Democratic Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee must decide by Monday evening whether she will seek a 16th term in the House.

Jackson Lee, who is 73, lost her bid Saturday to lead the nation’s fourth-largest city, taking 35 percent of the vote to state Sen. John Whitmire’s 65 percent, according to unofficial results posted by Harris County. The Associated Press called the election for Whitmire, who is also a Democrat, less than a half hour after the polls closed. Jackson Lee told supporters Saturday that her work is not done. Asked by KPRC-TV whether she plans to run for reelection, Jackson Lee demurred.
The deadline for filing for the 2024 primary election is 6 p.m. Monday. Democrat Amanda Edwards, an attorney and former at-large member of the Houston City Council, announced in June that she was running for the 18th District seat currently held by Jackson Lee. Edwards had raised more than $1 million and had $829,000 in her campaign account on Sept. 30, while Jackson Lee had $213,000, according to disclosures to the Federal Election Commission. The incumbent’s decision won’t change Edwards’ plans, Edwards campaign chair Kathryn McNiel said Sunday.
https://rollcall.com/2023/12/10/after-l ... -decision/

After 30 years in the US House, it's time to hang it up.

highdesert wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:53 am
Following her loss in Saturday’s Houston mayoral runoff, Democratic Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee must decide by Monday evening whether she will seek a 16th term in the House.

Jackson Lee, who is 73, lost her bid Saturday to lead the nation’s fourth-largest city, taking 35 percent of the vote to state Sen. John Whitmire’s 65 percent, according to unofficial results posted by Harris County. The Associated Press called the election for Whitmire, who is also a Democrat, less than a half hour after the polls closed. Jackson Lee told supporters Saturday that her work is not done. Asked by KPRC-TV whether she plans to run for reelection, Jackson Lee demurred.
The deadline for filing for the 2024 primary election is 6 p.m. Monday. Democrat Amanda Edwards, an attorney and former at-large member of the Houston City Council, announced in June that she was running for the 18th District seat currently held by Jackson Lee. Edwards had raised more than $1 million and had $829,000 in her campaign account on Sept. 30, while Jackson Lee had $213,000, according to disclosures to the Federal Election Commission. The incumbent’s decision won’t change Edwards’ plans, Edwards campaign chair Kathryn McNiel said Sunday.

Agree. She never really got the idea that she needed to reach many different constituencies. Also, the tape wasn’t her first encounter with boorish behavior, she had a long history on that as well.

sikacz wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:01 am
highdesert wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:53 am

Agree. She never really got the idea that she needed to reach many different constituencies. Also, the tape wasn’t her first encounter with boorish behavior, she had a long history on that as well.
Heard Joe Holley from the Houston Chron when I was out, he said Jackson Lee announced she was filing for reelection to the US House.