Deputy Fires At Unarmed Suspect, Apparently Mistaking Acorn For Gunshot

Body camera video released Monday shows a Florida sheriff’s deputy shooting at an unarmed suspect locked inside of a patrol vehicle after the officer was apparently startled by a falling acorn, authorities said.

The footage shows the Okaloosa County deputy responding to a reported vehicle theft in the Fort Walton Beach area on Nov. 12 when he began firing, according to an internal investigation report released last week.

“I’m hit! I’m hit!” the deputy, Jesse Hernandez, is heard yelling, despite suffering no gunshot injuries.

Hernandez expended his ammunition while shooting at his patrol vehicle and taking cover. His partner, Sgt. Beth Roberts, reacted to his cries of “shots fired” by also shooting at the patrol vehicle containing suspect Marquis Jackson, according to the internal report.

Jackson was found uninjured in Hernandez’s vehicle, and no weapon was located in his possession. The two officers were cleared of criminal wrongdoing following the internal investigation, though Hernandez was determined to have violated policy, authorities said. He resigned from the force in December amid the probe.

“Though his actions were ultimately not warranted, we do believe he felt his life was in immediate peril and his response was based off the totality of circumstances surrounding this fear,” the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office said of Hernandez in a statement.

The officers were investigating the reported vehicle theft when they were told by the vehicle’s owner that Jackson possessed multiple weapons and a gun silencer, according to the bodycam video and internal report.

Jackson was handcuffed and seen being searched by both officers before being placed in the back of the patrol vehicle. It was when Hernandez returned to his vehicle minutes later that things went awry.
Full story with video: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/okaloosa ... 11b91220e6

Sounds like things just went a little nuts around there. Maybe they need a little more training and gun control.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: Deputy Fires At Unarmed Suspect, Apparently Mistaking Acorn For Gunshot

Newly released body camera footage of the November 2023 incident shows the dramatic moments the Okaloosa County deputy shot at his patrol vehicle while a handcuffed suspect was inside.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/deputy-fires- ... =107229338

It doesn't make the Okaloosa County Sheriff's Dept look very smart.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Eris wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:00 pm
TrueTexan wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:14 am
Hey, don't compare this guy to Barney Fife! Deputy Fife always carried his gun in a safe condition and never shot anyone even once.
My understanding Don Knotts’ was actually a pretty good marksman.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Seems the motto at the Okaloosa Sheriff's dept. is, "if it's brown, shoot it down!" Yeesh....

This reminds me of Christopher Donner, the LAPD police officer who went nuts, and during the manhunt for Donner, cops perforated an SUV with two Latina women in it, because "suspicioius!"

This mindset by too many cops is why a lot of racial minorities don't trust the police. They're taught to shoot first, it appears, without first identifying if there even *is* a threat to their lives (there clearly wasn't in this case).
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

People like this who wear a badge should rightly be ridiculed for their incompetency. The power they wield in society is simply too grand to let this kind of buffoonery slide.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:13 pm People like this who wear a badge should rightly be ridiculed for their incompetency. The power they wield in society is simply too grand to let this kind of buffoonery slide.
Cops really need to be evaluated for their ability to remain calm. This guy panicked and started firing his gun over an acorn of all things. He is not emotionally stable enough to be a cop and should be barred from working as a cop again until he can prove he has changed.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:42 am
Bisbee wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:13 pm People like this who wear a badge should rightly be ridiculed for their incompetency. The power they wield in society is simply too grand to let this kind of buffoonery slide.
Cops really need to be evaluated for their ability to remain calm. This guy panicked and started firing his gun over an acorn of all things. He is not emotionally stable enough to be a cop and should be barred from working as a cop again until he can prove he has changed.
Agree and that's on Okaloosa County Sheriff's Dept for hiring him. Oak trees are everywhere in the US and we've all heard the sound of acorns dropping on cars/trucks and anything metal. It's loud but it's not a gun shot. The sound of walnuts dropping on cars/trucks is even louder.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Scientists explain unusual weather patterns from Climate Change predicts ever larger bounty of acorns.
https://www.science.org/content/article ... ic-masting

This does not bode well for POC’s in a nation with Deputy Barney’s. Best to move to CA and stay away from the date palms.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Forgot about palm fronds, saw them drop on a truck and it shattered the windshield. Yes eucalyptus or gum trees are known for dropping branches, they're also flammable. Originally from Australia they were brought to the US West and planted as wind breaks. We had them along our back yard when I was growing up.
Last edited by highdesert on Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There are people who shouldn't be iron workers, because they're terrified of heights. Not their fault, but it's a bad career choice. They shouldn't be iron workers.

There are people who don't go to sea for a living because they get seasick.

I don't hold the craven in contempt unless they try to earn a living in a job that requires courage. This sounds like such a guy.

Some folks just shouldn't be cops, because they're too small, too light, too weak or they're cowards.

CDFingers wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:02 pm Yeah, as regards cops needing to be a bit slower to sling lead: Rule Four: know your target and what's behind it. Do you actually see a gun pointing at you?
Reading your comment as an instructor, a couple things jump out at me.

One, slow is almost always bad in combat. The only real question is whether or not you are actually in combat. It boils down to the old shoot-no shoot.
Two, Rule Four is a gun range rule. Applying it to the street is wise. If there's time.
Three, it is simply not necessary to see a gun pointed at you. Impacts will do. Reports will do. A blade will do. Sometimes, a flash of light is enough.
Four, I like his partner.

That many innocent people get shot by too-quick cops is something to consider. Is that a gun or a cell phone?

Upon edit after a little more thought, the cop could not even see the suspect, who was inside the cop car. Did not know his target. I think the Four Rules should be in effect any time there's a gun involved, any time,, any place.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Ylatkit wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:49 pm
CDFingers wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:02 pm Yeah, as regards cops needing to be a bit slower to sling lead: Rule Four: know your target and what's behind it. Do you actually see a gun pointing at you?

One, slow is almost always bad in combat. The only real question is whether or not you are actually in combat. It boils down to the old shoot-no shoot.
Two, Rule Four is a gun range rule. Applying it to the street is wise. If there's time.
Three, it is simply not necessary to see a gun pointed at you. Impacts will do. Reports will do. A blade will do. Sometimes, a flash of light is enough.
No, there are exactly ZERO exceptions to the Four Rules of Firearms Safety. I'm afraid someone more qualified than you said that, and that person was Jeff Cooper, who came up with those rules. There are NO exceptions to the four Rules...and that goes double for when you're a cop. "Be sure of your target, as well as what's behind it", is critical unless someone just enjoys spraying people with lead who aren't shooting at you. As for the "acorn sounded like a muffled gun"...apparently the people on site there were watching too many Hollywood movies.
CDFingers wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:36 am That many innocent people get shot by too-quick cops is something to consider. Is that a gun or a cell phone?

Upon edit after a little more thought, the cop could not even see the suspect, who was inside the cop car. Did not know his target. I think the Four Rules should be in effect any time there's a gun involved, any time,, any place.

CDFingers
Quite correct, they should. The Four Rules cover every scenario. There Are No Exceptions.

Notice how quickly this Deputy Hernandez went to "SHOTS FIRED!!! SHOTS FIRED!!!" and sprayed that patrol car. 'Scuze me...wasn't he supposed to be handcuffed and disarmed already, before the cops put him into the patrol car?

Also notice how the Sheriff's office is even now, still, trying to make the situation sound like the deputy heard a "gunshot". Still trying to defend Sergeant Roberts's spraying the car, too. Neither of them knew their target.

And this, folks, is yet another example of why so many people of color don't trust the police.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

CowboyT wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:02 am
Ylatkit wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:49 pm

No, there are exactly ZERO exceptions to the Four Rules of Firearms Safety. I'm afraid someone more qualified than you said that, and that person was Jeff Cooper, who came up with those rules. There are NO exceptions to the four Rules...and that goes double for when you're a cop. "Be sure of your target, as well as what's behind it", is critical unless someone just enjoys spraying people with lead who aren't shooting at you. As for the "acorn sounded like a muffled gun"...apparently the people on site there were watching too many Hollywood movies.
CDFingers wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:36 am That many innocent people get shot by too-quick cops is something to consider. Is that a gun or a cell phone?

CDFingers
Quite correct, they should. The Four Rules cover every scenario. There Are No Exceptions.

Notice how quickly this Deputy Hernandez went to "SHOTS FIRED!!! SHOTS FIRED!!!" and sprayed that patrol car. 'Scuze me...wasn't he supposed to be handcuffed and disarmed already, before the cops put him into the patrol car?

Also notice how the Sheriff's office is even now, still, trying to make the situation sound like the deputy heard a "gunshot". Still trying to defend Sergeant Roberts's spraying the car, too. Neither of them knew their target.

And this, folks, is yet another example of why so many people of color don't trust the police.
Agree, four rules always. I wouldn’t take any instructor’s credentials very seriously if they told me otherwise. Jeff Cooper was right and continues to be so.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

CDFingers
Again speaking as an instructor, there are at least two separate sets of safety rules, and the fact that both exist means that there is, by definition, no standard set of safety rules. (The two sets are the NRA three and the Cooper four. Different ranges and different curricula require different rules be taught. I've taught both.) Both are still being taught as of this weekend, 2/18/24. I am constantly amazed by those who beat their chest and insist that theirs are the One True Safety Rules.

No. They're just... not.

Given these two sets of safety rules, taught right here in Puget Sound, within ten miles of each other, why would it be strange that cops on patrol would have yet another set of safety rules? (They do. The main one is Go Home At The End Of Your Shift.)

I will say that the one consistent point I see between the various sets of rules is this: if you want to be one of the good guys, if you pull the trigger, whatever the bullet does is your problem.

P.S. This is interesting. If the Cooper four rules always apply, we hang Alec Baldwin.
Last edited by Ylatkit on Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

And on a separate topic, I don't doubt the depth of anyone's firearms education, or anyone's commitment to that education.

However, if you only know one set of safety rules, perhaps the breadth of that education can be improved by a class from a different school.

And finally, my standard speech in the first hour (in any curriculum) includes the statement that I encourage all my students, past, present and future, to take in all the instruction they can find or afford, to get instruction from different ranges, different schools, and different instructors.

Then I tell them that if they do that, they will quickly realize how limited my experience is, and how little I actually know.