New Mich law requiring safe storage applied

FLINT, Mich. (AP) — A Michigan man whose 2-year-old daughter shot herself in the head with his revolver last week became the first person charged under the state’s new law requiring safe storage of guns, just days after the new measure took effect as part of a sweeping reform of gun regulations in the state.
https://apnews.com/article/michigan-fir ... 85d5bd4150

Safe storage laws punish after the fact. So far, it's the best, most Constitutional way to address this. If not stored properly, you're busted if your gun gets used the wrong way.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: New Mich law requiring safe storage applied

This just criminalizes the victim and gives activist anti second prosecutors the ability to penalize a gun owner regardless of how it’s stored. It’ll be well, you had “y” lock or safe and not “x” so you were negligent. These laws serve no real solution and do not address why the perpetrators broke into someone’s house and stole arms. Punish the perpetrators and the people engaged in criminal activity instead of the victim. Before you know it the perpetrators defense will be that the victim invited to robbery by only having a “y” type safe.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

featureless wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:08 pm I'm still not sure why a locked house is not secure storage. We don't require extra storage of medications despite the fact they are a high priority target by burglars and certainly result in overdose deaths in some that they are sold to.

I don't disagree with safe storage, quite the contrary. But a locked house is safe storage if children are not present.
This is the critical idea. Reasonable separation between a child and weapons. I agree with advocating secured storage just don’t think creating mandatory requirements solve anything. People should rightly advocate locking or childproofing their homes from dangerous chemicals, drugs, and yes guns. If there’s no children a locked home should suffice. It only takes breaking one lock for an entry to be illegal. Burglary is a crime from the first lock broken not from breaking an additional lock within the premises.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

CowboyT wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:40 pm We've gone through this before. Once again, my Dad didn't lock up his guns when I was a kid, nor did Grandpa lock up his when Dad was a kid. We didn't have any problems. This stupid law is just that, stupid.
I agree. Parents are responsible for their own children’s safety and education. There shouldn’t be a need to make laws to have parents do what is right by their children.

Eris wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:14 pm
featureless wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:08 pm But a locked house is safe storage if children are not present.
In this case there was a 2 year old child living in the house, though.
But the law applies to all, children or no children, right?

Please don't take this the wrong way as I have raised a child and very much held to "lock yet shit up." Now, without a child and living in the country where, to shoot the coyote right now, descending downstairs to fetch a rifle from storage and running back upstairs with said rifle not only seems unnecessarily dangerous, it doesn't result in a dead coyote either, said coyote having unassed the area whilst I fumble fucked around.

Additionally, living in the country with no neighbors in sight or sound, I prefer to have a firearm nearby upstairs and downstairs. It's not always reasonable to collect all the guns and put them in the.safe for a 10 minute trip to the PO Box. Now, if we'll be gone a while, I do place firearms back in the safe.

My point being, lock yer shit up is not practical for a lot of people, nor is it necessary if they don't have children and lock the door. If someone breaks into my house, they've got 15 plus minutes to get into the safe prior to any potential LEO response - the safe is hardly a barrier. Urban ways are different than country ways. Same with needs.

featureless wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:08 pm I'm still not sure why a locked house is not secure storage. We don't require extra storage of medications despite the fact they are a high priority target by burglars and certainly result in overdose deaths in some that they are sold to.

I don't disagree with safe storage, quite the contrary. But a locked house is safe storage if children are not present.
I agree that a locked house *should* be considered safe storage.

But I also recognize that safe storage is a fluid concept, varying from one household to the next. My spouse and I live with her parents, to keep them out of the assisted-living/nursing home/funeral home pipeline as long as is reasonable. Her father was in the Air Force as a career, serving mostly in the Security Patrol, so would know the sounds of an auto-loading pistol slide. As far as I can tell, he has not seen my pistols, even though he has said something about me having a big gun (he was diagnosed with dementia a number of years ago, so is not a credible witness for many things). I make a point of not handling my firearms when he is in view. My mother-in-law was told that we have firearms, but hasn't mentioned that in months. I don't know whether she remembers it.

My point is that, for ME, safe storage involves discrete locations (the main gun safe is in an area that my in-laws don't go) and combination locks (so that they don't know how to gain access). I also have two grandchildren, and have to be careful that they can't have unsupervised (and unapproved by their parents) contact with my firearms.

So, in short, "safe storage" for me might be very different than for you.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

You can't kill someone at 100 meters with a Valium. Guns are special things.

Let's not get too far afield from the OP, which features a two year old against whom guns must certainly be locked away. If more gun owners exhibited common sense, we would not have these kinds of articles. But here we are.

Each gun owner of course will decide for themselves how common sensible they want to be. I just want to encourage safe storage practices.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

sikacz wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:40 am As I said before parents need to childproof their homes, we don’t need laws that require people who do not have children to childproof their homes.
I agree sika and featureless. I have neighbors but not all of my neighbors live here year around. A next door neighbor divides their time between here, Nevada and DC. Another neighbor winters here, but summers in Oregon, another neighbor lives in LA but has a vacation house here. I don't have young children in the house and most of my guns are in a safe, but a few are around the house in case I need them.

In the Flint, MI case the perp was a felon in possession of firearms, his failure to secure the firearms and by extension child abuse are secondary charges.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan