Re: Biden on Late Night

I saw that in the news this morning, thanks for the links. It was a safe space for Biden, Seth Meyers is a supporter and the show is filmed in New York City. Biden moves slowly, like he's medicated or maybe it's just his age. He has a very tough job.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:18 pm I saw that in the news this morning, thanks for the links. It was a safe space for Biden, Seth Meyers is a supporter and the show is filmed in New York City. Biden moves slowly, like he's medicated or maybe it's just his age. He has a very tough job.
I saw the walking part and decided to skip it. Definitely comes across as old physically.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

And FDR got around in a wheelchair. What of it?
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

I think Joe had a good performance there. He left his shades on a bit too long, but all in all it was a good gig. He totally walks like his age. His mind seemed fine, but his comedic timing was not near as sharp as the other two. Entertaining.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I don't see that. In my (limited, on a good day) view, he's been competent. No, the world is not at peace, but the U.S. (meaning me) is far better off than it was four years ago.

And when you put competent, with all its mistakes, up against the other choice, it's not a choice at all.

Herbert Hoover had a great many life parallels with Jimmy Carter. You should really read up on his biography.

Both were fundamentally decent and extremely intelligent men with backgrounds in engineering and agriculture, whose Presidencies were swept up in economic turmoil far beyond the powers of their office to address. When Hoover one-termed, we were deeply fortunate to get a competent and effective leader in trade. When Carter one-termed, we set the country on its current path towards fascism.

I don't think it's fair to compare Joe to either of them. He doesn't have their baseline intellect nor their moral conscience. What he does have is more experience working the levers of Congress and the executive than nearly anyone who has ever occupied that office, and enough competence to tamp down what should have been an economic crisis of the same scale they faced so that the US has the strongest performing national economy in the aftermath. He's much more like FDR, but 2022 was his 1937 - FDR's second term didn't go so hot. 1936 was a landslide, but polls in 1940 had FDR tied in a dead heat.

Like others, I doubt Joe will get all the way through a second term. The Presidency ages men like nothing else. I understand the reservations about Kamala Harris. Still, I came to realize in '04 that there are a great many white, rural Americans of voting age who rarely got out to vote because local elections were pre-ordained and the national platforms weren't reactionary enough for their liking, and all they need is a good hate to get 'em motivated.

sikacz wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:12 pm
Bisbee wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:27 pm And FDR got around in a wheelchair. What of it?
FDR wasn’t senile and a doddering old fool.
FDR was very animated when he spoke, he didn't look or sound disabled. And of course his staff, the Secret Service and the media shielded him so he was pictured standing (with leg braces) or sitting, very few pictures of him in a wheelchair.

Texas governor Greg Abbott is always seen in a wheelchair, but he doesn't act old.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan