Judge Allegedly Says 2nd Amendment 'Doesn't Exist in This Courtroom'

https://redstate.com/jeffc/2024/04/22/b ... e-n2173162
From the beginning of Taylor’s trial, it was evident that the court would be biased against the defendant, according to Varghese, who explained that two judges presided over his case before the current official, Judge Abena Darkeh, took over.

The judge disrupted Varghese’s opening statement multiple times as he tried to set the stage for Taylor’s defense. Even further, she admonished the defense to refrain from mentioning the Second Amendment during the trial. Varghese told RedState:

She told us, ‘Do not bring the Second Amendment into this courtroom. It doesn’t exist here. So you can’t argue Second Amendment. This is New York.'
Not sure what to think about this - the Defendant knew (or should have known) that what he was doing was a violation of the laws but did it anyway. So's he's guilty and was found so. But for the judge to tell attorneys that the Second Amendment doesn't exist here tells me we have reached a time where judges and representatives are ignoring the Constitution and will continue to ignore SCOTUS rulings pertaining to 2nd Amendment rights now and in the future.

Not cool.

VooDoo

Edited: I can't find another single credible source that this actually happened so we'll assume it's "fake news" until I know otherwise. Sorry about that.
Last edited by VodoundaVinci on Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Re: Judge Says 2nd Amendment 'Doesn't Exist in This Courtroom'

featureless wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:47 am Dude should have known the laws. That said, a 2 decade sentence for a victimless crime for what should be a constitutionally protected activity is bullshit. And the judge's statement should result in her removal from the bench.
Completely agreed. Had they court fined him and considered the time he spent in jail awaiting trial as time served it would have been fair and just. And at what point have judges who say shit like "The second amendment does not exist in this court because we are in New York!" get someone removed as a judge?

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

It's Red State which like Raw Story, has a political bias. It happened in New York City and nothing there surprises me when it comes to firearms. Darkeh's statements if verified by the court transcript, should be grounds for appeal and Taylor could make a written complaint to the state judicial oversight authority. The judge was appointed to the bench by Mayor Bill DeBlasio. Taylor would be better off moving to PA if he gets off and still plans to stay with gunsmithing.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:25 am It's Red State which like Raw Story, has a political bias. It happened in New York City and nothing there surprises me when it comes to firearms. Darkeh's statements if verified by the court transcript, should be grounds for appeal and Taylor could make a written complaint to the state judicial oversight authority. The judge was appointed to the bench by Mayor Bill DeBlasio. Taylor would be better off moving to PA if he gets off and still plans to stay with gunsmithing.
I would like to see another source for that quote attributed to the judge since Red State is a low-factuality site. I gather it is part of the court record, though, if true.

VodoundaVinci wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:03 am
featureless wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:47 am Dude should have known the laws. That said, a 2 decade sentence for a victimless crime for what should be a constitutionally protected activity is bullshit. And the judge's statement should result in her removal from the bench.
Completely agreed. Had they court fined him and considered the time he spent in jail awaiting trial as time served it would have been fair and just. And at what point have judges who say shit like "The second amendment does not exist in this court because we are in New York!" get someone removed as a judge?

VooDoo
The judge should be removed. Ignoring the bill of rights is a step too far regardless of the right in question. Is this a case where the SCOTUS could intervene. I suspect the NY Supreme Court would agree with this judge. So now we have proof how these blue state judges think and why they refuse to acknowledge SCOTUS decisions like Heller and Bruen.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

DispositionMatrix wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:28 am
highdesert wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:25 am It's Red State which like Raw Story, has a political bias. It happened in New York City and nothing there surprises me when it comes to firearms. Darkeh's statements if verified by the court transcript, should be grounds for appeal and Taylor could make a written complaint to the state judicial oversight authority. The judge was appointed to the bench by Mayor Bill DeBlasio. Taylor would be better off moving to PA if he gets off and still plans to stay with gunsmithing.
I would like to see another source for that quote attributed to the judge since Red State is a low-factuality site. I gather it is part of the court record, though, if true.
Would be interesting to confirm or dispute.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Judge Allegedly Says 2nd Amendment 'Doesn't Exist in This Courtroom'

sikacz wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:29 pm
VodoundaVinci wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:47 pm Let's assume this is Fake News as I can't seem to find another credible source with the same story. Sorry about that....

VooDoo
You mean I raised my blood pressure for nothing! LoL.
I don't think the case is fake news as I have a vague recollection of it. What the judge said may have had some writers discretion. We'll see...

VodoundaVinci wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:47 pm Let's assume this is Fake News as I can't seem to find another credible source with the same story. Sorry about that....

VooDoo

I haven't seen any stories about Taylor that included exchanges in the NY courtroom. On occasion I've read a Red State article I've agreed with and on occasion they have beat up on the US right. The trial transcript is the official record of what was said in court, cases that go to appeal include the transcript for appellate judges to review testimony, rulings...
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

VodoundaVinci wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:28 am I find Colion to be generally credible - it's just difficult for me to believe a judge actually made the statement in a court of law and nothing was done about it.

VooDoo
I'd believe it. The tribalism against the actual law has become severe.

We had a similar, maybe slightly less outrageous, kerfuffle a few months ago here in WA that only got reported in hunting/fishing circles, to my knowledge. In brief: the state fish and game commission has been packed with appointees who are basically anti-hunting. One of them, the head of the commission, I think, was trying to demonstrate that she was fair to hook-and-bullet interests by saying (on a podcast, IIRC) that she enjoyed wild-caught fish, which she got by bartering them from a neighbor in some sort of among-friends circle of favors.

The problem with that is that it is absolutely illegal to sell, trade or barter fish and game taken on a recreational license. A commissioner who said that should have been immediately fired or asked to resign by the governor, but crickets.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Dexter Taylor was convicted, his "arsenal" of guns according to prosecutors and the media ensured it. His attorneys Varghese & Associates will be appealing. His lawyer's have a page on their site dedicated to the case.
NY v. Liberty: The Dexter Taylor Case
https://vargheselaw.com/news/ny-vs-libe ... receivers.