US Government Is of the Wealthy, by the Wealthy, and for the Wealthy

1
From Jim Hightower.
What’s the matter with Congress? And most of our state legislatures, too? Why do these so-called representative bodies keep stiffing middle-class and poor families, refusing to respond to the most urgent needs and goals of this vast majority of Americans?

Take lawmakers’ indifference to the childcare crisis crushing the finances, health, and spirit of millions of working families. Plus, intentionally denying basic healthcare for low-income children in this spectacularly rich nation.

These common incidents of child neglect are products of the creeping plutocratic ideology now dominating capitals across America. Most legislatures today push corporate profiteering, including re-legalizing robber baron exploitation of children. Bills to reinstate child labor are being advanced in 28 states, and 12 have already passed!

Why is the workaday majority being ignored and corporate supremacy being imposed over the common good? In a word: class.

Think about it: Who holds nearly all of the seats in Congress and in state legislatures? Not plumbers, mechanics, taxi drivers, trash haulers, hotel housekeepers, computer programmers, farm workers, or childcare providers. Instead, it’s bankers, lawyers, corporate executives, lobbyists, millionaires, and ideological goofballs.

Even though half of America’s jobs are working class, barely 1% of our nation’s 7,300 state legislative seats are held by the working class people who actually make America work.

As the old saying goes: If you’re not at the table, you’re on the menu. And our political system has been rigged by corporate lobbyists, lawmakers, and judges to hold public office hostage to big money—intentionally excluding the working-class majority from its rightful place at America’s policy table.
https://www.commondreams.org/opinion/us ... by-wealthy

Jim Hightower said it so true. We might as well be back to the days of the Robber Barons and their political machines that filled to elected offices.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: US Government Is of the Wealthy, by the Wealthy, and for the Wealthy

2
Biden's Treasury secretary 2 days ago,
"We believe in progressive taxation,” Yellen said. “But the notion of some common global arrangement for taxing billionaires with proceeds redistributed in some way—we're not supportive of a process to try to achieve that. That's something we can't sign on to.”
Proponents of a global tax on the super-rich say it would stop the world’s 3,000 billionaires from stashing their wealth in countries where they can avoid taxes. The idea is modeled after the global minimum tax on corporations, which more than 130 countries agreed to in 2021 but has since faced GOP opposition in Congress.

“It is crucial to ensure that our tax systems provide certainty, raise sufficient revenues, and treat all of our citizens fairly,” finance ministers for Brazil, Germany, South Africa and Spain wrote in a recent Guardian piece arguing in favor of the proposal.
https://www.newsnationnow.com/business/ ... lionaires/

Biden leads a center-left government and he doesn't support it and Trump never would. They need billions from billionaire donors to win elections.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: US Government Is of the Wealthy, by the Wealthy, and for the Wealthy

3
highdesert wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:37 am Biden leads a center-left government and he doesn't support it and Trump never would. They need billions from billionaire donors to win elections.
History repeats itself we can go back to the French Revolution with "Let them Eat Cake" or the Russian Revolution with Marx and Lenin. The best example would be Germany in the early 1930s when Hitler meet with the industrial owners of the biggest factories including Krupp and ask for donations with the promise that would be the last election to the Reichstag and the owners would be the masters in their own house. The owners led by Krupp paid up to get the Nazi party elected and the rest is history. TOS is basically trying to do the same thing when he asked the oil companies to give his election one billion dollars and he would see they would have freedom to do what they want.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: US Government Is of the Wealthy, by the Wealthy, and for the Wealthy

4
highdesert wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:37 am Biden leads a center-left government and he doesn't support it and Trump never would. They need billions from billionaire donors to win elections.
I'm under the impression that the reason they need all this money to run their campaigns is to *Pad Their Pockets!* - the money is finding its way into bank accounts of the politicians, pure and simple. They promise billionaires that they will represent their interests and are paid to deliver.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress. Hope is not a Plan.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Re: US Government Is of the Wealthy, by the Wealthy, and for the Wealthy

5
VodoundaVinci wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:17 am
highdesert wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:37 am Biden leads a center-left government and he doesn't support it and Trump never would. They need billions from billionaire donors to win elections.
I'm under the impression that the reason they need all this money to run their campaigns is to *Pad Their Pockets!* - the money is finding its way into bank accounts of the politicians, pure and simple. They promise billionaires that they will represent their interests and are paid to deliver.

VooDoo
Bought and pad for, the politics of all time.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: US Government Is of the Wealthy, by the Wealthy, and for the Wealthy

6
I posted this in a different forum recently where a bunch of self styled conservatives were whining about the national debt, of course trying to link it to President Biden.
Part of the problem is in the famous Milton Freedman quote, "We are all Keynesians now." Milton Freedman was the father of the Chicago, later called the "Freshwater," school of economics. This is the limited government involvement school that is associated with the teachings of Hayek. Very much the opposite of the Keynesian, "Saltwater," school.

The Freedman quote reflects the problem. In troubling times nearly all national governments become Keynesians. That is not the problem. The problem is that once times are good again we throw out the Keynesian book. This is because we don't like the other chapters. Those are the chapters that tell us that the money needs to be paid back.

The last time we tried it was with the Clinton-Gingrich compromises. Of course, the next president lit that on fire with massive rounds of tax cuts and unfunded wars. These are the things done to stimulate, not temper.

The growth of the fifties, and massive pay-downs of WW2 debt, co-existed with very high, but targeted tax rates, mostly marginal. We have since moved the responsibility for tempering the economy to The Fed, and provided it with a single tool, interest rates.

This is not the only way to manage the economy. However, it is the one that is the politically easiest. Very simply, we need Eisenhower back.
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Matt. 25:40

Re: US Government Is of the Wealthy, by the Wealthy, and for the Wealthy

8
It wasn't just Eisenhower, it was a whole different era. The US had battled fascism on the right in WWII and was still battling communism on the left, in general they rejected extremism. The two political parties were much more moderate, people on the wings of the two political parties were ostracized, now they dominate. Unions and working class members moderated the Democratic Party and Republicans rejected groups like the John Birch Society and others that peddled conspiracies. The wings are militant now and want it ALL and they want it NOW, it's all about political purity and enforcing it.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: US Government Is of the Wealthy, by the Wealthy, and for the Wealthy

9
CDFingers wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:24 am We're in danger of dying through laziness.

Everyone must vote and get all their friends to vote against the orange menace.

Lots of money can tickle lots of eyeballs, but word of mouth is stronger.

CDF
Voting for the lesser of two assholes... Precisely why we are in this predicament. Biden gives not a single fuck more than the orange asshole over the plight of the not rich. None of them do. Precisely the point of the article.

Re: US Government Is of the Wealthy, by the Wealthy, and for the Wealthy

10
featureless wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:39 pm
CDFingers wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:24 am We're in danger of dying through laziness.

Everyone must vote and get all their friends to vote against the orange menace.

Lots of money can tickle lots of eyeballs, but word of mouth is stronger.

CDF
Voting for the lesser of two assholes... Precisely why we are in this predicament. Biden gives not a single fuck more than the orange asshole over the plight of the not rich. None of them do. Precisely the point of the article.
I am beyond cynical at this point but I have to say it again. And yet again - I sincerely doubt we are going to vote our way out of the failure of this Republic. In my mined it has already failed - it's just trading altitude for enough airspeed to keep flying but the crash is, to me, inevitable. No matter who we elect, they do not have the character nor the desire to fix it. Too busy filling their pockets with power and money.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress. Hope is not a Plan.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Re: US Government Is of the Wealthy, by the Wealthy, and for the Wealthy

11
VodoundaVinci wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:08 pm
featureless wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:39 pm
CDFingers wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:24 am We're in danger of dying through laziness.

Everyone must vote and get all their friends to vote against the orange menace.

Lots of money can tickle lots of eyeballs, but word of mouth is stronger.

CDF
Voting for the lesser of two assholes... Precisely why we are in this predicament. Biden gives not a single fuck more than the orange asshole over the plight of the not rich. None of them do. Precisely the point of the article.
I am beyond cynical at this point but I have to say it again. And yet again - I sincerely doubt we are going to vote our way out of the failure of this Republic. In my mined it has already failed - it's just trading altitude for enough airspeed to keep flying but the crash is, to me, inevitable. No matter who we elect, they do not have the character nor the desire to fix it. Too busy filling their pockets with power and money.

VooDoo
While I would never hope for it, we may find ourselves when it is time for fire, ashes and a phoenix. What that may portend, I have no idea and no real wish to see. But every empire fails at some point, either from rot or conquest. I don't think anyone believes we aren't rotten through. Entirely.

Re: US Government Is of the Wealthy, by the Wealthy, and for the Wealthy

12
highdesert wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:27 am It wasn't just Eisenhower, it was a whole different era. The US had battled fascism on the right in WWII and was still battling communism on the left, in general they rejected extremism. The two political parties were much more moderate, people on the wings of the two political parties were ostracized, now they dominate. Unions and working class members moderated the Democratic Party and Republicans rejected groups like the John Birch Society and others that peddled conspiracies. The wings are militant now and want it ALL and they want it NOW, it's all about political purity and enforcing it.
Yes, it was not just Eisenhower. People are products and reflections of their time. It was the sense of the time that allowed his policies to prevail.

There is no way he could be elected today, and that is a poor reflection on our times.
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Matt. 25:40

Re: US Government Is of the Wealthy, by the Wealthy, and for the Wealthy

13
Hasaf wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:58 pm
highdesert wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:27 am It wasn't just Eisenhower, it was a whole different era. The US had battled fascism on the right in WWII and was still battling communism on the left, in general they rejected extremism. The two political parties were much more moderate, people on the wings of the two political parties were ostracized, now they dominate. Unions and working class members moderated the Democratic Party and Republicans rejected groups like the John Birch Society and others that peddled conspiracies. The wings are militant now and want it ALL and they want it NOW, it's all about political purity and enforcing it.
Yes, it was not just Eisenhower. People are products and reflections of their time. It was the sense of the time that allowed his policies to prevail.

There is no way he could be elected today, and that is a poor reflection on our times.
Eisenhower was unique, seen as a hero because of his WWII role as Supreme Allied Commander in Europe, he had guided the Allied side to victory. It was also unique because the US had a booming economy after WWII, our industrial areas hadn't been bombed like Europe. Yes people live in the context of their time and Eisenhower pursued a moderate course that helped him win two elections.

Yup it's highly unlikely he could be elected now, some have even speculated that Reagan couldn't be elected now. As the wings of the parties have grown, the parties have become more unpopular with the latest Gallup poll showing only 27% of the population claim to be Republicans and only 25% Democrats with 45% unaffiliated Independents in the middle. In spite of their unpopularity, the parties aren't fighting for the center.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: US Government Is of the Wealthy, by the Wealthy, and for the Wealthy

14
highdesert wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:32 am
Hasaf wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:58 pm
highdesert wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:27 am It wasn't just Eisenhower, it was a whole different era. The US had battled fascism on the right in WWII and was still battling communism on the left, in general they rejected extremism. The two political parties were much more moderate, people on the wings of the two political parties were ostracized, now they dominate. Unions and working class members moderated the Democratic Party and Republicans rejected groups like the John Birch Society and others that peddled conspiracies. The wings are militant now and want it ALL and they want it NOW, it's all about political purity and enforcing it.
Yes, it was not just Eisenhower. People are products and reflections of their time. It was the sense of the time that allowed his policies to prevail.

There is no way he could be elected today, and that is a poor reflection on our times.
Eisenhower was unique, seen as a hero because of his WWII role as Supreme Allied Commander in Europe, he had guided the Allied side to victory. It was also unique because the US had a booming economy after WWII, our industrial areas hadn't been bombed like Europe. Yes people live in the context of their time and Eisenhower pursued a moderate course that helped him win two elections.

Yup it's highly unlikely he could be elected now, some have even speculated that Reagan couldn't be elected now. As the wings of the parties have grown, the parties have become more unpopular with the latest Gallup poll showing only 27% of the population claim to be Republicans and only 25% Democrats with 45% unaffiliated Independents in the middle. In spite of their unpopularity, the parties aren't fighting for the center.
The independent sector growth should tell parties their agenda doesn’t line up with a large part of the electorate.
Image
Image

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: US Government Is of the Wealthy, by the Wealthy, and for the Wealthy

16
YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:31 am I disagree with the title. It should be:
Government of us all, by the most corrupt, for the rich & powerful.
Of course, the rich and powerful support the two-party stranglehold on US politics. I think one way to undermine the hold the two parties have is to use ranked choice voting. Alaska has it, and I think it's Oregon and Nevada voting on it this time. The two party system favors simple majorities because they want things limited to either/or questions. Ranked choice allows for more legitimate variety in offices.

CDF
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: US Government Is of the Wealthy, by the Wealthy, and for the Wealthy

17
sikacz wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:05 am The independent sector growth should tell parties their agenda doesn’t line up with a large part of the electorate.
Do you think they care? I kind of see it as a Free for All right now with the top end of both major parties realizing that the party is soon to end and they are grabbing all the goodies and filling their pockets with as much money and power as they can abscond with in the hopes that they have all the marbles in their possession so that they can be the New Masters when it all goes to shit.

None of the two party candidates I have listened to impress me as having any care for their constituency or even the future of this nation. Just personal greed.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress. Hope is not a Plan.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Re: US Government Is of the Wealthy, by the Wealthy, and for the Wealthy

18
sikacz wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:05 am
highdesert wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:32 am
Hasaf wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:58 pm
highdesert wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:27 am It wasn't just Eisenhower, it was a whole different era. The US had battled fascism on the right in WWII and was still battling communism on the left, in general they rejected extremism. The two political parties were much more moderate, people on the wings of the two political parties were ostracized, now they dominate. Unions and working class members moderated the Democratic Party and Republicans rejected groups like the John Birch Society and others that peddled conspiracies. The wings are militant now and want it ALL and they want it NOW, it's all about political purity and enforcing it.
Yes, it was not just Eisenhower. People are products and reflections of their time. It was the sense of the time that allowed his policies to prevail.

There is no way he could be elected today, and that is a poor reflection on our times.
Eisenhower was unique, seen as a hero because of his WWII role as Supreme Allied Commander in Europe, he had guided the Allied side to victory. It was also unique because the US had a booming economy after WWII, our industrial areas hadn't been bombed like Europe. Yes people live in the context of their time and Eisenhower pursued a moderate course that helped him win two elections.

Yup it's highly unlikely he could be elected now, some have even speculated that Reagan couldn't be elected now. As the wings of the parties have grown, the parties have become more unpopular with the latest Gallup poll showing only 27% of the population claim to be Republicans and only 25% Democrats with 45% unaffiliated Independents in the middle. In spite of their unpopularity, the parties aren't fighting for the center.
The independent sector growth should tell parties their agenda doesn’t line up with a large part of the electorate.
I agree, but they're blind, deaf and dumb. The two political parties only listen to the shadow parties that control them, they ignore everyone else. So I ignore them and their candidates.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Semrush [Bot] and 2 guests