"Trump booed and heckled by raucous crowd at Libertarian convention"

Presidential candidate Donald Trump was booed and heckled by many in a raucous audience at the Libertarian National Convention on Saturday night, a marked change from the adulation he receives at rallies from his fervently loyal supporters. Libertarians, who believe in limited government and individual freedom, blame Trump, a Republican, for rushing through the creation of a COVID-19 vaccine when he was president and for not doing more to stop public health restrictions on the unvaccinated during the pandemic. When Trump took to the stage in Washington, there were loud boos and jeers. A smaller section of the crowd, Trump supporters, cheered him. Shortly before he appeared, one Libertarian Party member shouted: "Donald Trump should have taken a bullet!" Trump's campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment about the hostile reception. Trump, who was president between 2017 and 2021, immediately mentioned the total 88 felony charges he faces in four federal and state prosecutions. "If I wasn't a libertarian I am now," he said.

He denounced the administration of President Joe Biden, his challenger in the Nov. 5 election rematch, and Biden's fellow Democrats as being part of a "rise in left-wing fascism". Trump was trying to appeal to libertarians, who have more in common with Republican policy positions than Democrats on issues including taxes and the size of government, in what is expected to be a closely fought election. He added: "We should not be fighting each other." He asked libertarians to work with him to defeat Biden, an appeal which was greeted by many boos, although the vast majority in the crowd were fiercely opposed to Biden and his administration. Libertarians garnered only 1.2% of the national vote in 2020, or about 1.8 million votes, but November's election could be decided by just tens of thousands of votes in a handful of battleground states, so Trump is seeking to peel away some libertarian support.

Trump's appearance at the libertarian gathering, unusual for a Republican White House candidate, also signaled how seriously he and his campaign take the threat of third-party candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr., who has long opposed vaccines and mandates, and who spoke to the convention on Friday. Trump has been ramping up attacks on Kennedy, who is running as an independent, recently calling him a "fake" anti-vaccination proponent. Opinion polls suggest Kennedy will siphon votes away from both Trump and Biden, but it is not yet clear which of the major-party candidates will be hurt more by Kennedy's long-shot White House bid. Libertarian Party organizers said Biden was also invited to speak to the convention but he declined to attend. "The Libertarian Party can make a big difference. If we unite we will be unstoppable," Trump said to a mix of applause and jeers. Trump said he was a "libertarian without even trying to be one," and that the Libertarian Party should endorse him, another line greeted by boos and jeers.

Undeterred, Trump poked fun at the crowd, saying if they did not back him, they would continue to garner just a tiny portion of voter support in national elections. He pledged to put a libertarian in his cabinet if he wins the election, which was met by cries of "bullshit!" Trump did get huge applause for one promise. A rallying cry for libertarians is the case of Ross Ulbricht, who is serving a life sentence for creating and operating the website Silk Road, which allowed users to secretly buy and sell drugs and other illegal products. Libertarians believe Ulbricht's 2015 sentence represents government and judicial overreach. In front of a crowd holding "Free Ross" signs, Trump promised to commute Ulbricht's sentence if he wins back the White House.
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/trump- ... 024-05-26/

As delegates gathered at the Washington Hilton on the eve of his speech, the party’s decision to host the former president, which had split the organization, erupted Friday into open revolt. Fuming delegates at the convention said they plan to protest Trump’s speech, and one group sought unsuccessfully to remove the former president along with Robert F. Kennedy Jr., from the agenda — a move that resulted in thrown punches and obscenities between supporters and opponents of the move. “I would like to propose that we go tell Donald Trump to go fuck himself!” Kaelan Dreyer, a Libertarian from New Mexico, yelled into a microphone, winning cheers from the crowd. After shouting vulgarities at the convention’s chair and fending off punches, he was led out of the convention hall.

The raucous opening to the convention reflects the pockets of hostility that Trump faces as he appeals to the Libertarians to help him box out a growing, third-party threat from Kennedy’s independent presidential campaign. “The vast majority of Libertarian Party members are not happy with this invitation,” said Bill Redpath, a 40-year veteran of the Libertarian Party and a former national party chair who’s helped organize their presidential ballot access for decades. “There are some people who call Trump the most Libertarian president of our lifetimes. That’s utterly ridiculous.”
https://www.politico.com/news/2024/05/2 ... t-00160008https://www.politico.com/news/2024/05/2 ... t-00160008
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: "Trump booed and heckled by raucous crowd at Libertarian convention"

jc57 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:10 pm His list of "People to go after once I become dictator" got a little longer. He will soon be ridiculing them on X or unTruth Social with his 3rd grade ALL CAPS or Unnecessary Capitalization mode of communication.
He is ether using the caps as a shouting or he hits the cap lock and can’t figure out how to get it out of all caps. I go for the second option.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Here's the part of the article that I find so interesting and even rather hypocritical.

"Libertarians, who believe in limited government and individual freedom, blame Trump, a Republican, for rushing through the creation of a COVID-19 vaccine when he was president and for not doing more to stop public health restrictions on the unvaccinated during the pandemic. "

Our Democrat brothers and sisters continue to claim that Trump--whose family was among the first to get vaccinated along with Pelosi and Schumer--supports the anti-vaxxer mentality and even that he is an anti-vaxxer. Yet Democrats were also pushing for mass vaccination, including here on the LGC forums, along with COVID-19 restrictions on the unvaccinated. Can't have it both ways, folks. I may not like Trump, but I likewise don't care for that sort of hypocrisy.

With that being said, this is one of several areas in which I disagree with the Libertarians. We needed the vaccine. We got it, thanks to Operation Warp Speed...thank goodness. In November 2020, before the vaccine's availability, COVID-19 nearly killed my boss, and he was on a ventilator for eight days. Later on, my wife had COVID-19 effects for a couple of months, and one of my neighbors had those effects for several months more. This is even after full vaccination + booster shots. Imagine how bad it would've been without the vaccine....

Sorry, Libertarians, but you're wrong on this one.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

Cowboy, I have a question I am struggling with. You seem to play by the rule books and believe that hypocrisy is unacceptable. But the GQP doesn’t believe that. 45 could give a rats ass about lying to your face. How do you contend with unscrupulous opponents who strive to win at all costs? Any insights?
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Former President Trump's longshot bid to be the Libertarian Party's presidential candidate came to an end Sunday after the party's chair determined he was ineligible. Trump spoke at the party's national convention on Saturday, where he faced boos and jeers during his speech, but still urged delegates to "nominate me or at least vote for me." Trump and independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. were both among the candidates nominated by delegates on Sunday, but Libertarian Party chair Angela McArdle determined the former president was ineligible as he didn't file the required paperwork, CNN reported. Kennedy, however, accepted his nomination in a video message. Both Trump and Kennedy's nominations received boos from some delegates, CNN said.

Trump posted Sunday on his Truth Social network: "The reason I didn't file paperwork for the Libertarian Nomination, which I would have absolutely gotten if I wanted it (as everyone could tell by the enthusiasm of the Crowd last night!), was the fact that, as the Republican Nominee, I am not allowed to have the Nomination of another Party." "Regardless, I believe I will get a Majority of the Libertarian Votes." Trump spent part of last week campaigning to voters outside his MAGA base, including a rally in the South Bronx. The rally prompted pushback from some of Trump's critics, including Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) who said she felt the former president was trying to "trick some of our folks here." "What we see here is that former President Trump has been in court, he has mounting legal fees, and a lot of this is about covering the increasingly precarious financial situation that he's in," she said. Scott Jennings, a former special assistant to President George W. Bush, praised the move Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union," saying the campaign was "striking such a confident pose right now." "It's a campaign unlike we've seen from other Republican candidates. I think it's pretty confident and they know, they know they're winning and they're trying to take advantage of that position," he said.

Trump at times seemed surprised at the vocal reaction from the crowd during his speech. Trump promised he would appoint a Libertarian to his cabinet if re-elected. He also briefly mocked the party, asking "What's the purpose of the Libertarian Party of getting 3 percent? You should nominate Trump for president only if you want to win." "If he thinks he is going to win our nomination, he's more delusional than I thought," Chase Oliver, one of the Libertarian presidential candidates said at a press conference Saturday after Trump's speech.
https://www.axios.com/2024/05/26/trump- ... le-nominee
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Eris wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:19 am I hope it made Trump furious and that he cried in his limo afterwards.
Certainly should be a reality check. I doubt he realizes the difference between boos, heckles and applause. The biggest crowd ever! Now we know his eyes, and ears are both malfunctioning. Oh, actually the problem is they’re connected to his brain or whatever he has up there.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:47 am
Eris wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:19 am I hope it made Trump furious and that he cried in his limo afterwards.
Certainly should be a reality check. I doubt he realizes the difference between boos, heckles and applause. The biggest crowd ever! Now we know his eyes, and ears are both malfunctioning. Oh, actually the problem is they’re connected to his brain or whatever he has up there.
Trump is living in his own reality. He is showing symptoms of delusions of grandeur, just like a schizophrenic, that thinks they are the king of the country and can do as they please.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Trump and Biden are both looking for ways to gain traction in this election, Trump is ahead by 1.4 points which means statistically its a dead heat/a tie. Trump hoped to win the Libertarian nomination to get that 3% and push him ahead, but that was never going to happen.

The latest Economist/YouGov poll asked respondents to rank 15 issues from most important to least important. The top 3: Inflation/prices; Immigration; Jobs and the Economy. Abortion is #6 and Guns are #12. The issues are clear as validated by multiple polls, if candidates aren't focused on them especially in the 6 swing states, they deserve to lose in November.
https://d3nkl3psvxxpe9.cloudfront.net/d ... aJ08Ik.pdf

CowboyT wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:05 pm Here's the part of the article that I find so interesting and even rather hypocritical.

"Libertarians, who believe in limited government and individual freedom, blame Trump, a Republican, for rushing through the creation of a COVID-19 vaccine when he was president and for not doing more to stop public health restrictions on the unvaccinated during the pandemic. "

Our Democrat brothers and sisters continue to claim that Trump--whose family was among the first to get vaccinated along with Pelosi and Schumer--supports the anti-vaxxer mentality and even that he is an anti-vaxxer. Yet Democrats were also pushing for mass vaccination, including here on the LGC forums, along with COVID-19 restrictions on the unvaccinated. Can't have it both ways, folks. I may not like Trump, but I likewise don't care for that sort of hypocrisy.

With that being said, this is one of several areas in which I disagree with the Libertarians. We needed the vaccine. We got it, thanks to Operation Warp Speed...thank goodness. In November 2020, before the vaccine's availability, COVID-19 nearly killed my boss, and he was on a ventilator for eight days. Later on, my wife had COVID-19 effects for a couple of months, and one of my neighbors had those effects for several months more. This is even after full vaccination + booster shots. Imagine how bad it would've been without the vaccine....

Sorry, Libertarians, but you're wrong on this one.
After 2 vaccinations and 3 boosters, all Moderna, I was horribly sick with Covid for 3 weeks Jan '23. It took 2 rounds of Paxlovid to finally clear it, But Covid being Covid, it finds your most vulnerable part and attacks that--in my case, a leaking Aortic valve that suddenly got far, far worse, requiring open-heart surgery that April, which found that the valve was now perforated.

I completely am convinced that without the vaccines and Paxlovid, I would have died, very, very painfully. For the surgery, I had to be on a ventilator, and waking up, choking on this thing, was just as awful as I imagined it would be, DESPITE the drugs to "keep me comfortable". I shudder to think what it would be like to have that fucking thing down my throat for 7 days or more, and be conscious. Swallowing was pretty excruciating for the first few days post, too.

To me, the anti-vaxxers are killers. With their crackpot conspiracies implemented, I simply would be DEAD!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:36 pm
After 2 vaccinations and 3 boosters, all Moderna, I was horribly sick with Covid for 3 weeks Jan '23. It took 2 rounds of Paxlovid to finally clear it, But Covid being Covid, it finds your most vulnerable part and attacks that--in my case, a leaking Aortic valve that suddenly got far, far worse, requiring open-heart surgery that April, which found that the valve was now perforated.

I completely am convinced that without the vaccines and Paxlovid, I would have died, very, very painfully. For the surgery, I had to be on a ventilator, and waking up, choking on this thing, was just as awful as I imagined it would be, DESPITE the drugs to "keep me comfortable". I shudder to think what it would be like to have that fucking thing down my throat for 7 days or more, and be conscious. Swallowing was pretty excruciating for the first few days post, too.

To me, the anti-vaxxers are killers. With their crackpot conspiracies implemented, I simply would be DEAD!
A remembrance for the antivaxers. DAVID

The "Good Old Days" were not always that good and it's amazing how much things have improved just in my lifetime.

The time was the early 50's.

David was the fastest kid in our gang, even faster than his sister and she was really, really fast. He could run faster, climb higher in trees, jump all the way across the stream in the woods and he always made sure everybody got to play and nobody picked on the little kids.

One summer they called off the carnival, shut down the theater, canceled the 4th. of July parade and closed the swimming pool.

And David wasn't there anymore. His sister cried a lot. She even hit one of the kids one day.

Fewer and fewer kids showed up at the playground.

One night Mom and Dad sat us down and told us that David had polio. We knew about polio, my great aunt had it when she was little and one leg was shorter than the other. She had to wear special shoes and a metal brace on her leg and a cane we had all learned to fear. He was in the hospital but I really wanted to go see him.

We all dressed and I got in the car and Dad drove us into the city to the hospital. When we got to David's room it was filled with really big cylinders with people inside and just their heads sticking out. They were all lying on their backs looking up at a big mirror. The tanks made wheezing noises with a clunk then a whir then whoosh then clunk then ...

David's mom and dad and his sister were there and all stood up when we arrived. David smiled but it was all crooked. He was drooling and his sister reached over and wiped his face. As the tank went whoosh David said "Hi". Then a pause and when the tank went whoosh again he said "for coming o...", pause, clunk, whir, whoosh, "...ver".

His dad explained that the machine was breathing for David and when it went whir it pulled air in and when it went whoosh it was pushing the air out. David could only talk when it was pushing the air out.

I looked at David and all I could say was "Wow, that's neat!". He smiled again but his mom cried.

His dad said that he was getting better and they thought he would be able to leave the tank (it was called an Iron Lung) one day soon. I said I couldn't wait for him to get home and I'd tell everybody that he'll be back soon.

A nurse came by and said it was time for his bath and exercise and so we all said goodbye for now.

David died a few days later and he didn't get to come back.

A couple years later Dad took us to Doc Jerry for the first Polio Vaccine trial and David was one of the last kids in the US to die from polio.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

My brothers FIL and MIL had "discussions" with the one daughter that was a rabid anti vaxxer and she convinced her mother that the vaccine "wasn't really a vaccine and will screw up your genes!" So her father got vaccinated and her mother did not - they both got Covid a few weeks later. The father had symptoms like a mild cold. It killed his Wife.

It's been a few years now but I doubt the other members of the family will likely ever speak to the anti vaxxing daughter. Surprise! She's an Ever Trumper!

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress. Hope is not a Plan.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Sig320, your story about polio is something I've heard of before about that horrible disease. We were taught about that as schoolkids. I actually knew a guy who had one shorter leg due to polio. And that--and our getting rid of smallpox worldwide--convinced me, as a boy, about the benefits of vaccines.

For those who are "Ever Trumpers" and say that the vaccine is a bad idea...it's especially loony because Trump himself has, ironically, been a vaccine supporter ever since COVID-19 hit. His own supporters would boo him when he would recommend that they take the vaccine! They booed him again later when he said that he'd gotten the booster shot and recommended that everyone take it, too!

As the ol' folks used to say..."ain't that sump'n?"

Bisbee wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 12:34 am Cowboy, I have a question I am struggling with. You seem to play by the rule books and believe that hypocrisy is unacceptable. But the GQP doesn’t believe that. 45 could give a rats ass about lying to your face. How do you contend with unscrupulous opponents who strive to win at all costs? Any insights?
I can understand the question, and thank you for asking it in a civilized manner. Here's my answer.

I have discovered, to my dismay, that politicians--generally--will lie to your face so long as it gets them elected/re-elected. They'll do anything, legal or otherwise, to stay on the gravy train. And I've found that it doesn't matter whether the politician is a Democrat or a Republican. I'd say Biden and Trump have lied through their teeth time and again, and I am disappointed in both of them in roughly equal measure. Sadly, even Obama has disappointed me quite an amount after his first year, and that is saying something, given that he is our first Black President. I really wanted to be a fan of his, maybe more than you know. Same applies for Clinton; he's a liar, too. Far as I'm concerned, the only Presidents that have shown us any decent modicum of honesty in my lifetime are Presidents Ford and Carter. We need more of those two, I think.

The problem that I see in predominately Democrat circles is that the supporters don't want to acknowledge the faults of "their tribe", and a lot of their dialogue reflects this. This is true not just here on the LGC forums, but elsewhere that I've been, both in person and online.

See, it helps me to be a bit more objective because though a Liberal I may be, I am neither a Democrat nor a Republican. Rather, I am an Independent. Both of the two big parties disgust me in roughly equal measure, and neither one of them is what I would call Liberal.

So, while Trump may spout whatever he thinks, whether it's true or not, and I don't like it, I likewise hold Biden to the same standard. When Biden said, and I quote, "Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black", that's just as bad to me as when Hillary Clinton talked about "hard working Americans, White Americans" in 2008 in her run against Obama. And the media folks largely gave him a "pass" on that one. Oh, sure, they mentioned it once so they could say, "oh, yeah, we reported on that", but then...crickets. Biden says he's a friend to Black people? Then why did he oppose school integration, as Kamala Harris rightly criticized him about during the 2020 Democrat Primary?

That's the sort of things that Democrat supporters don't want pointed out, but yet they seem giddy to point out the faults of "the other tribe". That's hypocritical and inappropriate.

So, how do I contend with unscrupulous opponents who want to win at all cost? I go to primary sources whenever possible and find out what's really going on. Here's an example of that.

My wife is an evangelical Christian, Conservative, card-carrying Republican. I am an Independent San Francisco Liberal. We love each other and are very careful never to devolve into ad-hominem attacks against each other. In short, we respect each other. That's why our marriage works.

There was a time when she believed a right-wing narrative that then-Attorney General Eric Holder had said that any opposition to then-President Obama was racist and anti-Black. She believed it. So, I asked her if she would find the primary source for this, i. e. where he actually said that on audio or video. She was unable to find it. So, I went looking for it to see if it were true. I found what he actually said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgEoak20mLI

This is straight from the actual interview, thus the primary source. So, no, AG Holder didn't make a blanket statement about all White people who opposed Obama are automatically racist. I showed this to her, and she got it.

It's gone the other way as well, where Conservatives have shown me things about, say, NPR. So, I looked it up and found out for myself whether what they were saying was true or not. I found the primary sources, and sadly, it was true, and I had to change my tune about NPR. That really sucked, because I used to like and admire them.

That's how I handle it. Just good ol' critical thinking, as best as I can.

Polio was a horrible disease, it spiked in the 19th and 20th century though it goes back earlier in time. British physician Edward Jenner was the father of vaccines, he studied and showed that smallpox vaccine worked. Jonas Salk and Albert Sabin's vaccines helped eradicate polio around the world. Vaccines save lives, I've never understood trained physicians who reject vaccines or intentionally delay them and imperil children's lives, we have a few in bright blue CA. I have no patience for antivaxxers like RFK, Jr and some of the Trumpers.

CowboyT wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:13 pm By the way...I've seen "GQP" here a lot on the LGC forums. I know what the GOP is, but what, exactly, does "GQP" mean?
The Q cult members which overtook the GOP and drove out true conservatives.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi