What Book You Reading?

Reviews and discussions of books, TV, music, etc - firearm related or not.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

Re: What Book You Reading?

#451 Post by Bisbee » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:13 pm

spara wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:18 pm
A Book of Bees and How to Keep them by Sue Hubbell.

I've been wanting to keep bees for a while and I'm planning to take the plunge in 2019.
That is super cool, Spara. 😎

I’ve never kept bees on my own but have helped neighbors with their hives and had another friend who was a professional bee keeper who drove his hives all up and down the west coast to help orchard growers with their fruit and nut trees during spring. I’ve always had an affinity for honey bees. Have only been stung a handful of times which did hurt but wasn’t terrible. I believe there is even use of bee stings for arthritis treatments or something strange like that.
🐝
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

spara
Verified Member
Verified Member

#452 Post by spara » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:13 pm

Bisbee wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:13 pm
spara wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:18 pm
A Book of Bees and How to Keep them by Sue Hubbell.

I've been wanting to keep bees for a while and I'm planning to take the plunge in 2019.
That is super cool, Spara. 😎

I’ve never kept bees on my own but have helped neighbors with their hives and had another friend who was a professional bee keeper who drove his hives all up and down the west coast to help orchard growers with their fruit and nut trees during spring. I’ve always had an affinity for honey bees. Have only been stung a handful of times which did hurt but wasn’t terrible. I believe there is even use of bee stings for arthritis treatments or something strange like that.
🐝
Hives are on their way, I've got place to put them on a friend's land, and the bees will be ready for pickup in April. I've taken a couple of extension courses and I've been reading up on it but the interest in the Sue Hubbell book came out reading her obituary. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/18/obit ... -dead.html

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#453 Post by lurker » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:23 pm

Season V. a semi-fictional account of author's experience in vietnam. semi-fiction because apparently some of it is still classified. names have been changed to protect.... somebody.
a little uneven, i'm hoping he hits his groove as we go on. i don't read much since i dropped out of grad school, skimming 3 books a week takes the fun out of it.
covfefe!

HuckleberryFun
Verified Member
Verified Member

#454 Post by HuckleberryFun » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:59 pm

Finland At War: the Winter War 1939-1940, by Vesa Nenye
22EAE42E-03D2-4E2E-B5D4-5BF4EC11E35A.jpeg
22EAE42E-03D2-4E2E-B5D4-5BF4EC11E35A.jpeg (46.26 KiB) Viewed 212 times
The publisher’s blurb:
The story of the 'Winter War' between Finland and Soviet Russia is a dramatic David versus Goliath encounter. When close to half a million Soviet troops poured into Finland in 1939 it was expected that Finnish defences would collapse in a matter of weeks. But they held firm. The Finns not only survived the initial attacks but succeeded in inflicting devastating casualties before superior Russian numbers eventually forced a peace settlement. This is a rigorously detailed and utterly compelling guide to Finland's vital, but almost forgotten role in the cataclysmic World War II. It reveals the untold story of iron determination, unparalleled skill and utter mastery of winter warfare that characterized Finland's fight for survival on the hellish Eastern Front. Finland at War: the Winter War 1939-40 is the premiere English-language history of the fighting performance of the Finns, drawing on first-hand accounts and previously unpublished photographs to explain just how they were able to perform military feats that nearly defy belief.
When I’m done I have volume 2 ready to read...
Finland At War: The Continuation and Lapland Wars 1941-1945
ImageImage
"If you find yourself in hand-to-hand combat...your tactics suck." --military maxim

ViktyrGehrig
Verified Member
Verified Member

#455 Post by ViktyrGehrig » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:23 pm

Jenna Moreci's The Savior's Champion. And Aleron Kong's The Land: Founding.

My shit isn't LitRPG, but it has lot of 8-Bit influences... so LitRPG seems like an obvious source of influences for me. And Moreci is a prominent authortuber whose videos have been helpful to me.

HuckleberryFun
Verified Member
Verified Member

#456 Post by HuckleberryFun » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:52 pm

Starting Volume 2. Is it “Fin” for the Finns? Stay tuned.
82445BDF-0BAE-4081-A725-8CE7875937BB.jpeg
82445BDF-0BAE-4081-A725-8CE7875937BB.jpeg (52.25 KiB) Viewed 197 times
ImageImage
"If you find yourself in hand-to-hand combat...your tactics suck." --military maxim

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#457 Post by YankeeTarheel » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:18 pm

Just finished Martin Cruz Smith's "The Girl From Venice" tonight. It's about a beautiful well-educated Jewish girl who ends up in a fisherman's boat in a small traditional village near Venice at the fall of Italy and Mussolini's path to summary execution. An interesting and fascinating tale that falls apart at the end, as if MCS ran out of energy JUST as it was getting really good!
"Fascism comes along when the rich people get the generals to help them stay in control." -- Woody Guthrie
My son says: "Don't argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!" -- YT

HuckleberryFun
Verified Member
Verified Member

#458 Post by HuckleberryFun » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:39 pm

No Gods No Masters: an Anthology of Anarchism, by Daniel Guerin
675 dense pages of small type. No pictures or illustrations. This should keep me out of trouble for a good long while.
Or not...
7B3E0C73-4505-495D-827A-1AF46E543877.jpeg
7B3E0C73-4505-495D-827A-1AF46E543877.jpeg (42.08 KiB) Viewed 183 times
ImageImage

Eris

#459 Post by Eris » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:00 pm

Just got this. Not my normal reading fare, but my grandfather was in 8th air force. In fact, the the 4th person from the left in the photo (behind the lead man's right shoulder) may actually be my grandfather. It certainly looks like him, and he did say that the pilot who flew him over to England was a bit older, which matches this photo. Unfortunately, this is the only photo in the book with no description!
80+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

TrueTexan
Verified Member
Verified Member

#460 Post by TrueTexan » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:18 am

It would be interesting if the book even mentions the 15th Air Force. So many only write about the 8th Air Force and never mention the 15th Air Force that flew out of North Africa and later Italy. My dad was in 15th Air Force flew as a gunner in B-24s out of Italy in the 461st Bomb Group.

http://www.461st.org

Books I’m reading now RIP Ford’s Texas the Memoirs of John Solomon “RIP” Ford. He was the most colorful man in Texas history. Came to Texas one month after the battle for San Jacinto. Was. A doctor, Lawyer, Newspaper editor, Texas Ranger, Indian fighter, Legistator, Adjunct to Captain Jack Hayes during the Mexican War. Wrote the article of Secession taking Texas out of the union. Negotiated the surrender of Fort Brown and other Union Army forts along the Rio Grande one month before Fort Sumter ad was in command of Confederate Forces at the last battle of the Civil War at Palmetto Ranch, one month after Lee’s surrender and much more.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer-Kissinger
Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired.-Swift

spittingglass
Verified Member
Verified Member

#461 Post by spittingglass » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:00 pm

About to start a re-read of The Dark Tower series. Well, probably a listen this time through, since I just ran out of new podcast material to listen to. I have a long commute and bought all of them on Audible.

mickel5435769

#462 Post by mickel5435769 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:52 am

I am reading Comic book and I like brawling go comic book.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#463 Post by lurker » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:58 am

mickel5435769 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:52 am
I am reading Comic book and I like brawling go comic book.
but... what do you shoot?
covfefe!